Ten Students Win Big in Dating Lottery

Leverett Match-Making System Could Eventually Include Entire Senior Class

By Daniel Altman, Contributing Reporter

The chances of "winning" in the Leverett House Dating service were about as good as on a scratch-off lottery ticket.

And that, as far as creator Josephine C. Navarro '93 is concerned, means her match-making service was a success.

From the 80 Leverites who asked to be matched by Navarro in time for their winter formal, 10 students were paired.

"I'm satisfied, and there are still cards coming in," Navarro said.

Navarro said she will continue to accept entries for a few more days this week. The original deadline for submitting cards with the names of prospective matches was last Wednesday.

Students were asked to submit index cards bearing the names of their admired housemates. Only those students who were also listed on the cards of their desired matches were paired.

Navarro said yesterday that it would be too difficult to extend the service to the entire college but that she may extend it to include the whole senior class.

Navarro said the system might be computerized for use before the last senior dance this year. She said she expects about 300 entries if the system is expanded to include all seniors.

Undergraduate Council Chair Malcolm Heinicke said he was optimistic about the council possibly running the program.

"I don't think funding would be exorbitant," he said. "If we got it up and running, we might even be able to get Mike Beys a date."

Heinicke said he was in favor of expanding it to the senior class, but said the service should be based in the houses.

With several more days left in the Leverett House matchup, hope still springs eternal.

Meg B. Berte `94 said she had not yet received a match, but could not wait to hear. Berte said she "hadn't had much luck on [her] own here."

But not everyone took the match-making seriously; several Leverett residents submitted cards with their roommates' names.

"They were easy to figure out, because they were all matches," Navarro said. "There was one where the guy had a girlfriend."

When a prank was suspected, Navarro said shecalled one of the two people in the questionablematch. If the alleged participant had not enteredthe name of the other student, the match wasnullified.

Leverett House Master John E. Dowling `57 saidhe was impressed by the service. Dowling said he"had not heard any negative comments--allpositive."

"Everyone's amused by it," he said

"Everyone's amused by it," he said