Grapplers Face Cornell Today

Crimson in for Tough Battle Against 12th-Ranked Big Red

By Andrew J. Arends, Contributing Writer

The Harvard wrestling team faces its toughest challenge of the season today as it opens Ivy League competition against 13th-ranked Cornell and Cortland College in a double-dual meet in Ithaca, N.Y.

Harvard (4-5 overall, 0-0 Ivy) is returning to action after a 20-day layoff, and has been grinding through two-a-day practices since the end of finals under the leadership of senior Co-Captains Aaron Danzig and Mike Costanza.

Cortland, a Division III school, doesn't figure to be a big factor in the tournament. The Big Red, on the other hand, will provide stiff competition for the Crimson. Ranked first in the East, Cornell boasts four wrestlers ranked in the national top 20.

Lacking Depth

While fielding some outstanding individual wrestlers, Harvard lacks depth, according to Coach Jim Peckham. As a result, Cornell (8-3 overall, 0-0 Ivy) should dominate the meet.

But Cornell Coach Jack Spates, who has led his team to three straight Ivy titles, stressed that Harvard is "not a team to overlook."

Several matches could prove to be real battles.

Harvard senior Sam Cole will face off against a familiar foe at 134 Ibs. in fifth-ranked junior Co-Captain Mark Fergeson.

Fergeson, who was also a co-captain as a sophomore, and Cole have met twice before, with Fergeson winning by close margins in both matches.

Cole, described by Peckham as "the hardest working, most dedicated college athlete I have ever known," has had a strong season, including his third championship in four years at the Coast Guard tournament in December.

Spates sees this match as "a real battle. We have a lot of respect for Sam."

Sophomore Michael Warnick is also expected to produce some fire works for the Crimson at 142 Ibs. as he takes on the Big Red's Mark Polo. Warnick, last year's Ivy League Rookie of the Year, is undefeated this season.

Also undefeated for Harvard are junior Frank Fronhofer at 150 Ibs. and sophomore Zach Cooper at 190 Ibs.

Costanza will face off against seventh-ranked Jason Roach in a battle of senior co-captains at 158 Ibs. Crimson senior Bret Janis also faces a very strong opponent at 126 Ibs. in 12th ranked Cornell sophomore David Hirsch.

The Big Red's Kyle Rackley, also ranked 12th in the nation, will square off against Harvard sophomore John Drosos at 177 Ibs.

Next week the Crimson begins preparation for its only home matches of the season.

In a marathon weekend, Harvard will face Pennsylvania, Boston College, Albany, Princeton and Springfield at the Malkin Athletic Center on February 7 and 8.

CORNELL THUMBNAILS

Coach: Jack Spates, fourth year.

'90-91 season: 16-1 overall, 6-0 Ivy, 39th in nation

All-Ivy Wrestlers:Marc McFarland, Mark Fergeson, Jason Roach

Current National Rank: 12

Ivy Titles: 18

Team Motto: "We want All-Americans and national champions."