UC Grants Emergency Loan

Perspective Gets $470 to Replace Stolen Computer

By Mark W. Brown, Crimson Staff Writer

The Undergraduate Council last night approved 28-13 an emergency grant for the Perspective to replace a stolen Macintosh LC computer.

Although the council doled out a total of $1440 to student organizations during the session, only the $470 Perspective allocation sparked substantial debate.

Several council members argued that the grant would set a precedent of covering replacement costs for stolen goods.

Council member Joshua S. Kreitzer '93, who writes for the Salient, argued that the Perspective did not have legitimate grounds for an emergency grant because it has printed three issues since the computer was stolen.

"Why do we have to give money to a paper which is continuing to print in spite of their emergency?" Kreitzer asked.

Other council members moved to change the grant into a loan because of the council's stricter funding requirements for "Self-sufficient" organizations, those in existence for at least three semesters.

But Dan A. Tabak '92 argued that the stolen computer was just cause for an emergency grant.

"The three-semester rule is so groups don't come back without achieving self-sufficiency on their own," Tabak said. "The Perspective was victimized. Someone stole their computer."

In other business, the council allocated $1420 to provide free shuttle bus service to Logan Airport on March 19 and 20, the days before Spring Break.

The Council has sponsored a similar shuttle in the past, charging $2 per student during the past two Thanks giving holidays and Winter Breaks.

Organizers stressed that undergraduates will not have to pay to use the service this spring.

In another matter, the council unanimously approved a resolution offering Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation and First Aid courses to undergraduates at five campus locations.

The Council's $1600 allocation provides a $15 subsidy for up to 100 students taking part in the four-hour courses, as well as $100 for publicity. Students who pass the program will acquire a one-year certification from the American Heart Association and the American Red Cross.

Before discussing the items on last night's agenda, council Chair David A. Aronberg '93 demanded action against what he called a "discriminatory policy" practiced at Shad Hall, the Business School's Gym.

Aronberg pointed out that Business School students can use the Malkin Athletic Center for $65 while undergraduates are excluded from Shad Hall.

"JFK is not a one-way street," Aronberg said to the enraged Council.

Aronberg urged the council to write a letter of protest to Jeremy R. Knowles, dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.