Crimson Distorts Campus Conservatism

MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

I don't know what bothers me more: The Crimson's distortions, or Peninsula's.

Your recent article, "A Sharp Shift to the New Right for Campus Conservatives" is typical of The Crimson's transparently partisan tactics to discredit conservatism. By constantly focusing on the most extreme--and, as you conveniently ignore, the smallest--conservative groups on campus, you grossly misrepresent the character of Harvard's conservative community.

And Peninsula, of course, is all too willing to help you. The comments of Peninsula Council members Matthew J. McDonald '92 and Roger J. Landry '92 are extremely misleading.

First, the Salient has never in its history supported divestiture from South Africa. McDonald and Landry manufacture that story out of whole cloth. In fact, the Salient has been outspoken in it opposition to divestiture.

Second, Salient editor Dianne Reeder '93 has criticized the tactics of some members of the prolife movement, but she has also been direct in her praise of their goals.

Third, McDonald and Landry dwell upon Salient staffer Jendi Reiter's recent support for gay rights, while conveniently ignoring Manuel Lopez's criticisms of homosexuality that appeared on the same page. McDonald and Landry practically wallow in distortion.

Finally, I was surprised by the Peninsula staffers' attacks on Dean Archie C. Epps III. To fault Epps for being unable to control the crazed mobs of the 1960s is like faulting a drowning man for sinking. Over the years, Epps has been quietly supportive of campus conservatives; Peninsula's attack on him are unfair and inaccurate.

Peninsula's staffers claim to be conservative. But conservatism is more than just an ideology; it is a way of life, an exacting code of behavior that demands dignity, thoughtfulness and respect for society and its institutions.

Peninsula may be ideologically correct; but by rejecting that code, by pursuing sensation rather than sense, their staffers have proven themselves to be no better--indeed, no different--than the '60s leftists that once ravaged this great University. Eric Reis '92   Editor emeritus,The Harvard Salient