New Fellows Speak at IOP

Roemer Absent From Kennedy School Introductory Event

By Richelle Nessralla, Contributing Reporter

The new fellows of the Institute of Politics made their debut last night at the Kennedy School of Government, speaking on their personal experiences with the worlds of politics and the media.

About 75 people showed for the talk, entitled "Personal Perspectives on Politics."

Perhaps the most well-known of the fellows, former Louisiana Governor Buddy Roemer, was not in attendance because of a previous commitment.

Although the fellows' remarks were wide-ranging, several discussed changes in the nature of their specific professions.

"I worked for the Moscow News, one of the most propagandistic papers in the Soviet Union before Gorbachev," said Yelena Khanga, former correspondent for the Russian publication. "I could only interview people who liked Moscow."

However, Khanga said, "After glasnost, the press became the watchdogs of the government. We became the heroes of the people."

Betsey Wright, a former chief of staff and a former campaign manager for Arkansas Governor Bill Clinton from 1980-90, said it is difficult for people to get involved in politics today.

"My generation has forsaken its responsibility to get young people involved," Wright said. "We haven't been building any bridges. I want people to know the technical skills of politics so they can act on their convictions."

Many of the fellows also spoke of the excitement and rewards of their careers.

"I got to see the events of my time up close," said John Hart, former CBS News, NBC News and Monitor Channel correspondent. Meeting people up close, I really understood their lives."

Other fellows spoke of the challenges involved in journalism and politics.

"You have to struggle in the political process," said William H. Hudnut III, former mayor of Indianapolis. "There's a lot of disillusionment, a lot of frustration. You can get depressed by the irrationality of people who tend to get over-emotional and over-simplify the issues."

Thomas A. D'Amore Jr., former chief of staff for Connecticut Governor Lowell P. Weicker Jr., also spoke at the event.

Several audience members interviewed last night said they were excited about the event.

"It's really fascinating," said Lorrie Foster, a graduate student at the Kennedy School who said she would attend Khanga's study group this semester.

"This is going to provide a unique opportunity to find out what's really going on in the Soviet Union," she said.