Astrophysics Projects Shown

Harvard Center Sponsors New Curriculum, Book Series

By Jonathan K. Wu, Contributing Reporter

The Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics will showcase several new projects and a new book series this spring break, according to officials from the center.

Project STAR, a high school curriculum, and its companion textbook Project STAR: The Universe in Your Hands, applies the fundamental principles of physics and mathematics to astronomy, said associate director Darrel Hoff.

The textbook series has already attracted attention from schools across the nation.

"We have had expressed interest from over 1000 schools," said Hoff, who co-authored the textbook.

Similar Ventures Elsewhere

But Project STAR in just one of the undertakings that representatives of the center will present next week to the 1992 National Science Teachers Association Convention in Houston, Texas.

Another venture, Project SPICA--short for Support Program for Instructional Competency in Astronomy--has provided leaders for astronomy workshops for more than 8000 teachers in three years, according to a statement released by the center.

A similar effort, Project ESTEEM--Earth Science Teachers Exploring Exemplary Materials--has done similar workshops in the earth sciences. ESTEEM has sent out agents who have instructed more than 3500 students in the last two years, according to the statement.

The center is also sponsoring two field trips to the Oakridge Observatory in Harvard, Mass. Among other things, participants will see the radio telescope that constantly checks for signs of extra-terrestrial life, Hoff said.