Laxwomen Punish Top-Ranked Tigers

Undefeated Crimson Tops off Break With 13-2 Demolition Of Princeton at Ohiri Field; Junior Liz Berkery Scores Seven

By Peggy L. Yeh, Crimson Staff Writer

These days, whether or not the Harvard women's lacrosse team comes away with a win is not the concern.

The answer to that is obvious--of course it does.

Instead, the most pressing question now is "how much did it win by?"

In the midst of steady rain and winds, Harvard (3-0 overall, 2-0 Ivy) celebrated its home opener Saturday by thrashing Princeton, 13-2, at Ohiri Field.

With the Tigers entering the contest ranked first in the most recent Brine poll, most expected a scrappy nail-biter between these two Ivy rivals.

But it was not to be. Harvard exploded out of the blocks with two quick goals from junior Liz Berkery and never looked back.

Princeton showed its only sign of life during the first minute of the second period netting two quick goals. But after that, the Tigers went back to sleep.

"It was a huge win for Harvard," Co-Captain Sarah Leary said. "Our defense played great. They're experienced individuals, and they played tremendously well."

"I was expecting more [from Princeton]," Coach Carole Kleinfelder said. "Our shooting was good...the whole team was up for this one."

With the victory, Harvard is a good bet to move into the top spot in the nation when the coaches' poll is released this Tuesday.

Berkery, named Ivy League offensive player of the week, kept up her torrid scoring pace, leading the team with seven goals. Senior Becky Gaffney and sophomore Sarah Downing contributed two goals apiece.

While she saw very little action, especially in the first half, Leary stopped nearly everything that flew, garnering 11 saves.

"Sarah played great," Clark said. "We shut them down and took advantage [of their weaknesses]. It bodes well for us."

Cruising Along

In its two previous spring break contests, Harvard asserted championship power and finesse by walloping everything in sight.

Pennsylvania and Temple were Harvard's first victims, dropping games 11-5 and 15-4 respectively.

Berkery netted 11 goals and posted two assists in the first two games.

"Liz is on fire," senior Co-Captain Ceci Clark said. "No one can really stop her."

Meanwhile, Leary slammed the door on opposing attackers, recording an impressive 30 saves during the Penn and Temple contests.

Eagles Flying In

Today, the Crimson plays host to the Eagles of Boston College. And while BC does not pose a huge concern to Harvard, the team is still cautious and ready.

"It'll be a good, hard game," Kleinfelder said. "They're more physical.. They go to the goal strong."

But if things continue as they are, who's to say Harvard won't be on the upper end of a shut-out this afternoon?

The game is at 3 p.m. at Ohiri.