Sullivan Discusses Sexuality Politics

By Rodolfo J. Fernandez

The editor of The New Republic demanded that gays and lesbians be permitted to fully participate in society in a speech entitled "The Politics of Sexuality" at the Harvard Law School last night.

Andrew Sullivan, a graduate of the Kennedy School of Government, stressed the importance of allowing gays and lesbians to marry and participate in the military in his speech to about 80 people at Austin Hall.

"These two measures are prerequisites to the establishment of the fundamental equality of heterosexuality and homosexuality," he said.

Sullivan, who is gay, reproached the Bush administration for not allowing gays and lesbians to fulfill the "fundamental obligation" of defending theircountry.

"We are not allowed to defend our homeland,"Sullivan said. "In this respect, we are centuriesbehind Blacks, and decades behind women."

Sullivan said that the current presidentialrace could have a significant impact on theattitude toward gay soldiers.

"If a Democrat wins in November, [the exclusionof gays and lesbians from the military], will gowithin a matter of days," he said. "Although Ihesitate to think what Buchanan might do if he isgiven the power," he added.

Sullivan expressed great concern over thenational government's role in the politics ofsexuality.

The administration "perceives homosexuals as aminority," Sullivan said. "And they believe thatbecause we are a minority, we need help."

He credited this perception to the commonbelief that "there are no homosexuals, justhomosexual acts."

'Come Out of the Closet'

Sullivan encouraged gays and lesbians to "comeout of the closet," emphasizing weaknesses in thepolitical system as a way to attain fundamentalequality between heterosexuality andhomosexuality.

"If homosexuals came out, there would be anamazing change in society's position ofhomosexuality," Sullivan said. "Unfortunately, thevast majority of gays and lesbians in this countryare still in the closet."

The Oxford University graduate also criticizedthe "hypocrisy" behind the "soft conservative"position of the politically correct.

"The soft conservative individual willprivately accept homosexuals at a party but willwrite or say something hostile in public just sopeople won't get the wrong idea," Sullivan said.

"This kind of hypocrisy is morally corruptingfor them and for others," he added

'Come Out of the Closet'