Anti-Asian Slur Appears on Poetry Board in Lamont

By Jonathan Samuels, Crimson Staff Writer

An anti-Asian slur was scrawled recently on a poem posted on the Lamont Library poetry board, prompting responses this week by the dean of students, the Harvard University Police Department and the Asian American Association (AAA).

On Thursday, Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III informed Harvard police of the graffiti, which read, "Fuck you, Chink." Epps said he will "investigate this further."

Epps also said the incident "may be related to" a recent barrage of harassing phone calls to a number of Asian students. (Please see related story, this page.)

The graffiti was directed at the student who placed the poem on the board, which is reserved for students to critique each other's writing. But the author of the poem is unknown.

The poem was signed "Lizbeth Chang '92"--but no one is registered at the University under that name.

The racial slur was brought to the attention of Lisbeth H. Chang '92 more than two weeks ago, who said the unknown poet was someone "just amusing themselves using my name." Change is a member of the Advocate poetry board.

Chang said she was "very upset" about the derogatory remark, and notified AAA members two weeks ago.

But AAA Co-President Mark H. Kim '94 said his organization has yet to discuss the incident. AAA's steering committee will review it at a meeting on Sunday, he said.

"We will decide as a group what to do, ranging from a protest letter to possibly a rally," Kim said.

Lt. Lawrence J. Murphy of the Harvard policedepartment said he plans to investigate the slurnext week. But he doubted that he would be able toget very far.

"We'll look and see, but I don't know if thereis anything to do," Murphy said. "An anonymousperson wrote the phrase on the poem in an openarea with access to anyone."

And Paul J. Karafiol '92, the president of thepoetry board of the Harvard Quarterly,which manages the posting space, said a solutionto the problem is unlikely.

"I'm very sorry that it happened, but thereisn't anything to do unless we close down theboard or police what goes on," Karafiol said.

He added that if more people vandalize thepoems, the purpose of the board will be defeated.

"If a lot of that goes on, students are goingto stop putting their poems on the board," hesaid.

Darshak M. Sanghavi '92, a former AAA vicepresident, said he doubts the slur will receivethe concern it deserves. He said he believes astronger campus response would have resulted ifthe phrase had read "nigger" instead of "chink."

But Epps said the matter will be investigatedfully.

"This matter is not any different, and willattract the same attention," Epps said.

Epps and Kim also pointed out that the slursymbolizes a growing nationwide trend ofanti-Asian sentiment.

"Whatever the AAA does in response to thisincident, we will be looking at the broaderspectrum," Kim said. "We can't limit it to theHarvard campus because this problem, especiallyJapan-bashing, is affecting the entire country ona broader scale.