Judge Not, Concerned Christians

MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

As long-time members of the congregation and of the Memorial Church Advisory Committee, we are privileged to participate in the life of the Memorial Church under the outstanding leadership of the Rev. Peter J. Gomes, Plummer Professor of Christian Morals and Minister in the Memorial Church.

The Memorial Church is our spiritual home, as it is to countless students, faculty, staff, neighbors, friends, alumni and untold others who join in its worship services through radio broadcasts.

Every Harvard person knows that the Memorial Church and its predecessor, Appleton Chapel, have a history rich in service to the University and beyond.

Allow us to briefly remind the University family of its church's magnificent offerings in choral and instrumental music, its abiding value to all who avail themselves of Daily Morning Prayers, the Church Schools, the unparalled preaching of resident and visiting nondenominational clergy and the pastoral care of both clergy and support staff. The Church is host to the offices of the United Ministries and others, and to a continuum of baptisms, weddings and burials.

Harvard is fortunate to have such a gem of a church in her midst--indeed right in her own front yard--and Harvard and Memorial Church are fortunate and blessed to have Gomes at the helm of such an energetic enterprise. His scholarship and values are unquestionable; his delight in and kindness toward everyone, equally, is legend.

Each of us views life through varying prisms, and in our opinion the members of Concerned Christians at Harvard are entitled to express their views on any issue they care to debate.

What saddens us is their use of personal attack against a person whose devotion to duty and honor are evident to all who see, and whose dedication, integrity and courage are second to none.

Is such a personal attack on Gomes in keeping with this great University's spirit and tradition of academic vigor and fairness? The strong biblical and universal admonition, "Judge not, that ye be not judged," keeps coming to mind. Also the old song title, "Try a Little Tenderness."

In our opinion, Memorial Church is in the best possible hands and served with distinction by Gomes. We are honored and privileged to call him our spiritual adviser and our friend. Cynthia W. Rossano   Kenneth R. Rossano '56, member of the   Memorial Church Advisory Committee