Phi Beta Kappa Inducts 12

Winthrop Roomates Among Women Tapped by Society

By Tamar A. Shapiro, Contributing Reporter

The Phi Beta Kappa Iota Chapter of Massachusetts announced this week that 12 Harvard women had been admitted into the academic honor society.

Cary B. Berkeley '93, Ming-Hui Fan '93, Elaine J. Goldenberg '93, Yen-Dong Ho '93, Amanda C. Holt '93, Junko Kaji '93, Judy C. Liu '93, Doris S. McDonald '93, Katherine E. O'Sullivan '93, Anna W. Poon '93, Gina M. Raimondo '93 and Katherine A. Tulenko '93 were selected on the basis of grade point average, recommendations and overall course work.

The women, chosen from among 24 nominees, were required to submit two recommendations to the selection committee, which consists of Harvard faculty members and Phi Beta Kappa alumnae.

O'Sullivan, a history concentrator, said she was "surprised and honored" by the announcement.

Two of the women named to the society, Goldenberg and Berkeley, are roommates in Winthrop House.

"It was kind of unexpected, because they hand-delivered it," she said. "We'd been checking our mailboxes for days and days."

Berkeley was not in the room when the letters were delivered.

"I came in and Elaine said "congratulations,' "Berkeley said.

"It was nice to hear it from a roommate."