New Key Card Readers Sabotaged With Glue

By Marion B. Gammill, Crimson Staff Writer

Unknown vandals used superglue to damage at least 12 of the new electronic card key readers installed in the Yard dorms--raising concern among College officials.

Elizabeth S. Nathans, the dean of first-year students, called the vandalism "an attempt to disable the entire security system."

Although the card readers were repaired within hours of the incident, the police are continuing to investigate the incident, which occurred on the morning of September 17.

All first-year Yard dorms except Stoughton Hall had card key readers disabled, and one to be replaced.

According to Harvard Police Chief Paul E. Johnson, the saboteur used superglue. "Somebody poured [it] into the mechanism and smeared it around with a stick," he said. "The cleaning was done rather quickly, with minimal damage."

Johnson said the department does not know if the culprit was a Harvard student.

The saboteur "was remarkably adept in placing the glue in the readers andknew exactly where to squirt it," said Nathans.

Nathans added that glue was also squirted intothe conventional locks, but no permanent damagewas done.

First Breakdown

Although there have been complaints byfirst-years students that the card key systemsometimes works erratically, this was the firstincidence of a wide-scale breakdown.

L. Fred Jewett '57, dean of the College, saidthat the University is still evaluating the cardkey system. "From reports I've gotten it seems tobe working pretty well," he said.

All officials praised the quick response to theproblem by the makers of the card key readers.Assistant Dean of Students Ellen H. Towne said theglue was removed and all the dorms had workingreaders by the afternoon

First Breakdown