Students Locked Out

Orthodox Jews Can't Use Key Cards

By Julie-ann R. Francis, Staff Writer

The electronic key cards installed in first-year dorms this summer may have brought added convenience and security for many, but they are leaving Orthodox Jewish students out in the cold.

In accordance with Jewish law, the students cannot operate electrical devices on the Sabbath, making it impossible for them to use the dorm key cards between sunset Friday and sunset Saturday.

As a temporary solution, the University is paying Christopher N. Tchissen '93, who is not Jewish, to escort the 14 students to their dorms and to unlock the doors twice a night. Tchissen was already employed at Hillel as a guard.

"It's inconvenient," said Tchissen. "It's not the best solution, but they're looking for alternative proposals."

Both officials and students agree that the temporary solution is not ideal in terms of either expense or freedom of movement.

Deborah A. Shore '96 said that the current system limits her mobility. "[Tchissen] takes a group around after lunch, but then for the rest of the afternoon if I want to go out I have to wait for someone to open the door," Shore said.

The students' plight is complicated by the fact that Jewish law also prohibits them from asking someone else to open the door.

Harvard University Police Chief Paul E. Johnson said that the problem was outside his department's jurisdiction and that use of police facilities would probably not be a satisfactory solution.

"It would tie up the cars," Johnson said. "It would be difficult for the students, who would have to wait for the officers to finish up other calls [before being let in]." Johnson suggested that perhaps Hillel volunteers could unlock the doors.

Shai A. Held '94, chair of Hillel's coordinating council, said the Freshman Dean's Office is being very cooperative in trying to find a permanent solution.

"Ideally we will find a way for the students to open the doors manually," said Held. "We hope we can find some way to accommodate both Harvard and the Jewish community."