Gore Visits, Campaigns For Kennedy, Roosevelt

ELECTION '94

By Jeffrey N. Gell, Special to The Crimson

BOSTON--Vice President Al Gore '69 stopped here for a few hours Saturday afternoon, stumping for both Sen. Edward M. Kennedy '54-'56 (D-Mass.) and gubernatorial candidate Mark Roosevelt '78.

Although Gore came to Boston to speak at a fundraiser for Roosevelt and his running mate, Harvard Divinity School lecturer Robert K. Massie, the vice president reminded the crowd of more than 300 Democrats in the Swissotel ballroom of the importance of re-electing Kennedy.

"When I first came to the Senate, one of the things I quickly found out was that now and for many years by far the most effective and productive member of the U.S. Senate is Ted Kennedy," Gore said.

Although recent polls indicate Kennedy has a narrow lead over his opponent, Belmont entrepreneur W. Mitt Romney, political observers believe Kennedy may lose his Senate seat.

The vice president told the audience that voting for Roosevelt would help Massachusetts because a Democratic governor would work well with Kennedy.

"It amazes me looking at the record of success of Ted Kennedy that the governor doesn't work with Ted Kennedy," Gore said. "With new leaders in your State House, we can create tens of thousands of new jobs and build an even stronger Massachusetts."

Roosevelt, the fundraiser's beneficiary, acknowledged the importance of Kennedy's re-election.

"The state has an important opportunity to send Ted Kennedy back to Washington," the gubernatorial candidate said. "It is our duty, and, believe me, we will do that duty."

Gore read off a laundry list of accomplishments of the Clinton administration, including the crime bill, gun control legislation, educational reform and recent foreign policy successes.

"In spite of the obstructionism, this Congress has been the most productive since 1965," Gore said.

Luncheon guests included former Governor Michael S. Dukakis, state Senate President William M. Bulger, Attorney General L. Scott Harshbarger '64 and former gubernatorial candidate George A. Bachrach.

After the Roosevelt event, Kennedy and Gore visited a group of more than 100 volunteers working on the City Year project, a 10-month community service program.

Hobbling through the Boston Opera House on crutches, Gore greeted several of the student volunteers.

At the event, Kennedy said he will remain committed to volunteerism and public service if re-elected. "Volunteerism knows no economic boundaries," the senator said.

Gore praised Kennedy for his work on promoting national service programs.

"I express congratulations to Senator Kennedy for sponsoring the proposal which takes this core across the nation," Gore said.

Despite many Democratic candidates' refusals to campaign with Gore or Clinton, Kennedy said he welcomes the support from the national leadership.

"We've been getting a very good response," Kennedy said after the event. "I want to return because I believe I can be effective."

The Gore visit marked the fourth time since September that a high-level figure from the Clinton administration has campaigned for Kennedy.

In September, President Bill Clinton and Hillary Rodham Clinton hosted separate fundraisers for Kennedy in Virginia and Massachusetts.

And last week, Clinton returned to stump for Kennedy in Framingham.

Kennedy said he plans to "focus like a laser beam" on the issues in preparation for tomorrow night's debate against Romney.