Fine, Hanselman Join Reform Party

By Michael Walfish

In a move that may further complicate Undergraduate Council officer races, two former executives have joined a reform-minded council party.

Presidential candidate David L. Hanselman '94-'95 announced this week that he has joined the Movement to Reform the Undergraduate Council (MRUC), a group of nearly 30 candidates pledging to push for certain specified changes.

And former secretary Randall A. Fine '96 has also signed on to the group's agenda, Fine said in an interview yesterday.

By joining MRUC, Hanselman adds his name to a list that includes last year's Vice President Joshua D. Liston '95, his only declared opponent for the council's top spot.

Fine has stated publicly that he hasn't thought about running for office. But according to a source familiar with the council, Fine has said that he has his eyes on the vice presidency.

The reforms listed on MRUC's posters have been controversial in the past. They include the addition of a second set of general elections and the simplification of the waiver of the $20 council fee on term bills.

MRUC's posters state that all its members are "committed to the reforms" outlined. MRUC's founders, Rudd W. Coffey '97 and David V. Bonfili '96, said yesterday that they require a candidate to agree with all of MRUC's goals before joining.

But Hanselman and several other candidates said they didn't.

Hanselman said he originally called Coffey inquiring about MRUC. And Hanselman said yesterday that he did indeed agree to each of the proposals--except semester elections.

Even though he subscribed to only part of MRUC's agenda, Coffey listed him as a member anyway, Hanselman said.

But Coffey disputed that account of the events.

Coffey said yesterday he was unaware that Hanselman's opinions differed from those of the MRUC.

"As far as we knew, he's committed to the entire thing," Coffey said.

Coffey later called the discrepancy "a case of miscommunication" and assumed responsibility for it.

Other cases of miscommunication seem to have occurred, however.

Bradford E. Miller '97, a candidate from Quincy, said he "didn't get the implication that we had to support each and every issue."

Coffey also took the blame for this discrepancy.

Terrence P. Mann '96, said he had a similar story. Mann said he joined MRUC because he approved of its direction. Bonfili did not require him to support all of the MRUC tenets, said Mann.

Bonfili said yesterday that Mann is "confused or he misunderstood."

And yet, some council candidates have cited the all-or-nothing policy of MRUC as the reason they didn't join the group.

Incumbents Jonathan P. Feeney '97 and Justin C. Label '97 both said they declined offers because MRUC's leaders required them to agree with all its goals.

Bonfili disputed the implication that MRUC is playing dirty.

He says that MRUC is a way of avoiding politics and not a political party.

"My concern is with making reforms that are simple and non-controversial," Bonfili said.