W. Soccer One Game Away From Title

Powerhouse Brown All That Stands Between Crimson and Ivy League Glory

By Jason E. Kolman

Expectations were low for the women's soccer team entering the 1994 season. After 1993's uninspiring 6-7-1 finish and the loss of many key players to graduation, a .500 record and a few respectable showings seemed like realistic goals.

The Ivy League championship? That was a fantasy.

Or so everyone thought.

After an impressive and consistent season, however, with a win in today's game against Brown the Crimson can achieve that impossible dream.

Going into today's game, Harvard (9-3-2 overall, 5-0-1 Ivy) trails first-place Brown (10-3-0, 6-0-0) by just one-half game, its only blemish coming from a 2-2 tie with Columbia in the opening game.

After that disappointing match, however, the Crimson has soared. It enters today's contest having won six games out of its last seven, including a dramatic 2-1 win over nationally-ranked Dartmouth with one minute left in regulation and Wednesday's 4-2 dispatching of Holy Cross.

Brown also opened the season somewhat shakily, losing two of its first five games. However, of late the Bears have been even hotter than Harvard, winning nine of 10 games, among which were a 2-1 win over Dartmouth and an impressive 1-0 upset victory over national powerhouse Duke.

The Bears boast the league's leading scorer in senior forward Mia Dammen (three goals, 10 assists in Ivy League play, seven goals, 11 assists overall). Goalkeeper Krista Fulton has also been particularly effective, notching 5 shutouts and allowing just 0.70 goals per game, second among Ivy keepers in overall statistics.

The Crimson has been helped all season by an especially strong freshman class. In Wednesday's win this was particularly evident--freshman Kristen Bowes capped the game's scoring with a header off a corner feed from fellow freshman Emily Stauffer. Stauffer also scored Harvard's first goal.

Stauffer has been one of the league's top rookies, winning Rookie of the Week honors for the week of October 3 and leading the team with 13 points (five goals and three assists). Freshman goalkeeper Dana Krein has also been solid, earning the victory Wednesday and compiling 5 shutouts and a 0.88 GAA, third overall.

The team's older members have also made solid contributions. Junior defender Sara Noonan has played well of late; her scoring the game-winner against Dartmouth earned her league Co-Player of the Week honors, and she notched another goal in Wednesday's win. Senior Libby Eynon also netted the game-winning goal on Wednesday.

Noonan says that the team will need to keep its composure to triumph today.

"[Brown is] very athletic and plays a very physical game," she said. "We need to stay in our short-passing game."

She adds that the whole team should be healthy, and it is more than ready to accept today's challenge.

"Everyone is playing well," she said. "It's all very exciting, and a great opportunity."