Give Us a Real Break

THE CRIMSON STAFF

Some traditions deserve to die.

Students have complained for years about the Harvard tradition of holding fall semester exams after winter recess. The winter vacation rings hollow as papers and problem sets remain due well into reading period and finals linger menacingly in the not-too-far-off future. And time spent with family is often cut short as Harvard students are compelled to rush back to campus in January and then must decide whether it is worth their time and money to attempt to return home for the few days of intersession.

Meanwhile, our friends at other colleges have the luxury of actually enjoying their break from academia.

Students perennially lament their stressful roles in this disturbing tragedy. A poll conducted by the Undergraduate Council last term demonstrated an overwhelming desire to move fall semester exams back before the winter break. The issue has now been brought before the Faculty council who, like gods on Mt. Olympus, will decide our lowly fate.

We are particularly dismayed when we realize that the Business School, Harvard's bastion of conservatism, decided last fall to reform its calendar in a dramatic effort to serve student needs.

As the Faculty Council reviews this issue, we hope that reading period is preserved. The free time is indispensable in providing students with the opportunity to devote themselves to extracurricular activities and still complete their work, In order to keep reading period, we suggest starting the academic year earlier, like most other schools already do.

We fear that the calendar torture persists largely because administrators are able to withstand complaints long enough for each crop of students to graduate.

Our years at Harvard are numbered. The tragedy of January exams must be ended.