Two Jurors Released From Walsh Trial

Alternates Warned About Discussing Case

By Jeffrey N. Gell

The judge presiding over the trial of Cambridge City Councillor William H. Walsh dismissed two jurors on Monday after a newspaper reported that the jurors has discussed the case outside the courtroom.

According to The Boston Globe, one of the jurors was overheard discussing the case last week in front of the Post Office Square parking structure.

The dismissed jurors were replaced by alternates, and U.S. District Judge Mark L. Wolf warned the remaining jurors and two alternates not to discuss the case with others until after the verdict and not to talk among themselves until deliberations begin.

Trial observer David R. Leslie, executive director of the Cambridge Civic Association, confirmed that the jurors' outside conversation was the reason for the dismissal. He added, however, that the remaining jurors do not know why the two jurors were removed.

"It's my understanding that the jurors deciding have no idea why the two jurors were dismissed," he said.

Leslie said he does not believe the jurors' dismissal will affect the outcome of the trial.

"I don't expect it will have it will have any impact," he said. "Two people would have wound up as alternates anyhow."

Walsh is charged with 59 counts of bank fraud and conspiracy for attempting to illegally procure nearly $8 million in real estate loans from Dime Savings Bank, New York savings loan.