Does Harvard Put Arts First?

Administrators Should Give More Support, Students Say

By Emily Carrier

During this weekend's Arts First festivities, the University is showcasing the efforts of Harvard's 45 official arts organizations--which range from the improv groups On Thin Ice to the University Choir.

But today is an unusual one for these groups, because it involves not only the support of the Office for the Arts (OFA)--a constant and highly regarded patron of undergraduate arts--but also administrators from around the University.

on lesser weekends, student arts groups receive little public support from College administrators, according to their leaders.

"Things like Arts First do make a difference, and the behind-the-scenes support the administration gives, says Jeanme Kim 95, president of the Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra (HRO). "But for the most part, student organizations have to fend for themselves."

HRO, the largest orchestra on campus, gets no funding form the administration, kim says. But it does get a grant form the Sanders Theatre support fund, which provides rehearsal space for the 100 member group.

And the orchestra was also one of 50 student organization to receive a grant form the office for the Arts,which went to fund the premiere of an originalstudent composition.

But when it comes to administrative support,Kim says it's not money that matters.

"What I would like to see is not necessarilymore financial support, but more public support,"she says. "I guess it would be nice if we would beable to count on administration to come seeperformances."

Many performing groups, including HRO, sendfree tickets for all of their events to members ofthe administration. Rarely, students say, arethose tickets used.

"We don't really expect them to come to everyconcert, simply because we have four concerts ayear because we have four concerts a year and theadministration is obviously very busy," Kim says.But she says a more visible administrativepresence would have a positive effect on the artscommunity at Harvard.

"I think those are the sort of effects thatyou're not going to see concretely. It's more ageneral morale effect," Kim says. "if studentshave the feeling that officials have no interest,it tends to make people think that the Universityis not supporting the arts as much as it could."

Jazz Band

The Harvard Jazz Band gets grants fromOFA to fund its Learning from Performers seriesand Artists in Residence program, "but that's theonly support we see," says John A. Capello'95-'96, manager of the group's band.

Like Kim, Capello is pleased with OFA's supportfor student groups.

"We love the office For the Arts because theydo everything so well," Capello says.

But he also says the administration couldprovide the jazz band with more direct financialsupport.

"I think that some of us think the Universitycould be giving us more money," Capello says. "Butat the same time they're not giving money directlyto other groups."

"I know that it's a problem because we don'tget any University funding," adds Jared E. Bush'96, a trombone player with the bank. "We have areally good jazz band considering that we don'thave any University support, but we're kind ofstuck in a makeshift basement. There's noacoustics."

Bush says the lack of administrative supportcan hurt attendance at the band's events.

"We don't even break even on our concerts," hesays, "so we have to raise the ticket prices, andthen that's a problem with getting people to go."

`Odd and Mysterious'

Besides OFA grants, the University doesvery little to impact the activities of studentarts groups.

"The Advocate's relationship with theUniversity is somewhat odd and mysterious," saysformer Advocate President Kelli Rae Patton '94."There is a small fund maintained by the Dean ofStudents office for the Advocate, but for the mostpart the Advocate is a self supportinginstitution."

While a closer rapport between the Advocate andthe administration might improve the quarterly'sfinances, Patton says she is satisfied with thepresent arrangement.

"I think, as it is, the Advocate operates quitewell," Patton says.

But the lack of official interest can hurt theaudiences for student publications just as they dofor performance groups.

"I would say even the Advocate is affected,"says current President Alp Aker '95. "Eventhough...there are some circles where the Advocateis very well read, there are some circles that arenot interested in what students are reading andwriting."

`Get the Word Out'

Many groups say they have sufficientfunds but need bigger audiences for their events.

Susie Reiss '95, president of the visual artsgroups Agitprop, says her organization's greatestchallenge is getting students excited about itswork.

"More than anything I think we need to get theword out to students," Reiss says. "I think a lotof it has to do with pulling people out of yourown pocket. Otherwise people think something isgoing to come into their lap and they don't haveto go looking for it."

While many administrators try to supportstudent groups, some undergraduates say officialsaren't' familiar enough with the arts to make adifference.

"The relationship between this groups [and theadministration] is good," says Matthew M. Briones'94, president of the Callbacks, an acapella singing group. "But on the whole Idon't think the attention to the arts is as goodas it could be."

For example, Briones says administrationofficials are sometimes unaware of even suchmundane details as the way choral groups scheduleauditions.

"I think that's kind of sad that they're out oftouch with something as simple as that," he says."But on the overall, it's not bad."

University support for arts groups may differaccording to the groups' focus.

"The situation varies for whatever type of artthe groups does," Aker says. "I think dramareceives quite a bit of support. Other things suchas film making don't receive as much as theyshould, and OFA is kind of inconsistent."

The Harvard-Radcliffe Dramatic Club, forexample, receives full funding to cover theoperational costs of mounting 20 performances asyear.

"I think the University is increasinglysupportive of arts in general," says Sarah T.Stewart '95, the dramatic club president.

But the club is one of few that receives directfinancing from the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.Its grant is not from the Office for the Arts.

Office for the Arts

OFA gave $20,000 in grants this year, aswell as an additional $5,000 for ArtsFirst-related events.

Any member of the University community canapply for grants, says Cathy McCormick, OFA'sassistant director. But to get money, the eventshould be directed at a Harvard audience.

"There should be a real ripple effect in theundergraduate community," McCormick says.

While McCormick notes that the office is partof the University, she acknowledges that therehave been no official attempts to bringundergraduates and administrators closer together.

This weekend, the office is working with theUniversity to put together Arts First. By nextweek, the OFA will have returned to itscustomary--and somewhat solitary--role.

"We consider ourselves an advocate forundergraduates in the arts," she says

Jazz Band

`Odd and Mysterious'

`Get the Word Out'

Office for the Arts