SERIES AT A GLANCE

TODAY

Harvard students, faculty, administrators and staff are entering the information superhighway. They are using e-mail and the Internet--a global data communication network--for more and increasingly complicated tasks, fundamentally changing learning and communication at Harvard.

TOMORROW

The uses of computers and the network have multiplied faster than Harvard's ability to regulate them. The College hurries to develop computer policies in response to new ethical dilemmas. User demands for privacy and security are pitted against the need for access to information.

THURSDAY

A small band of technical wizards toil inside Harvard Arts and Sciences Computer Services (HASCS). But the University has failed to provide the resources necessary to meet the heavy demands placed on the organization. The results Staff shortages, budget constraints and low morale.

FRIDAY

As Harvard links its computers to the outside world via the internet, a private University becomes significantly more public. Will the network change more than just the way students and faculty get their information? A look at the future of computers and related technology at Harvard.