Joe Kennedy Attacks on Haiti, Criticized by Leftists

Democrat Arrested for protest of Clinton's Haitian Policy, Blasted for Joining Right on Education Bill

By Manlio A. Goetzl

In the past two months, Rep. Joseph P. Kennedy II (D-Mass.) has been the target of two unlikely groups.

The first was the Washington D.C. Police department, which arrested the four term representative in front of the White House in late April for protesting the Clinton administration's policy in Haiti.

And in the last few weeks, Kennedy has come under fire from the Democratic Party's left wing for his votes on legislation sponsored by right-wing congressional members.

The 41-year-old Kennedy, who represents Cambridge, was officially charged by the police with demonstrating without a permit. Kennedy and five other members of Congress were upset over the lack of action taken in Haiti by President Clinton.

Specifically, Kennedy was upset because the administration had not taken significant steps to restore Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide to power. A military coup two years ago deposed Aristide, a personal friend of Kennedy, who is currently living in exile in Washington.

Clinton, responding to increased protests and a hunger strike by activist Randall Robinson, announced a new U.S. policy in early May. The policy states that Haitians caught on the high seas by the Coast Guard will not be returned to Haiti, but rather will be granted asylum hearings on sea.

Kennedy significantly mitigated his criticism of Clinton in an interview yesterday, but still did not fully support Clinton's new policy.

"I am hopeful that we are back on track in the process to restore Aristide," Kennedy said. "As long as we are in the process of getting Aristide back into power, halfway solutions are acceptable."

Kennedy continues of favor using strict economic sanctions and a trade embargo in order to hasten the return of Aristide. He says the U.S. should not rule out the use of military force.

"The administration is right to not rule out the use of force to remove the Haiti's military leaders if sanctions and diplomacy do not succeed," Kennedy said at a press conference last month.

Shifting Right?

While he lines up with liberals on Haiti, Kennedy has come under criticism from the Democratic party's left wing for a perceived shift to the right.

The representative's recent votes on amendments related to the Elementary and Secondary Education Act have aligned him with the venerable right-wing senator Jesse Helms (R-N.C.) and prompted the Christian Coalition to call Kennedy a "profile in courage."

Kennedy voted for a Helms-backed amendment which denies Department of Education funds to public schools which prevent voluntary prayer in the schools.

The Massachusetts Democrat also voted for an amendment which says that educational institutions cannot use funds provided by the act for the purpose of "encouraging or lifestyle alternative." A third controversial amendment supported buy Kennedy said that federal aid would be halted toschools that do not "continuously" teachabstinence as the only effective-protectionagainst unwanted pregnancy and AIDS.

In recent weeks, Kennedy and his aides havestaunchly denied that his votes show therepresentative is moving toward the center of thepolitical spectrum.

"These are positions that I have takenthroughout my career," Kennedy said.

But Kennedy acknowledged yesterday that becauseof his family name he is unfairly expected to votea particular way.

"There is this image with how a Kennedy issupposed to vote," Kennedy said.

Kennedy said that while his father, the lateRobert F. Kennedy '48, is perceived as theconsummate liberal, he had some very conservativeviews.

"People think that [my father] was a tremendousliberal, but he was tough on crime and wantedwelfare reform," Kennedy said. "People tend toforget that aspect of him."

Kennedy said the Helms amendment to the act wasperfectly in-line with the Constitution and thuswas acceptable.

"If the Constitution guarantees school prayerand if the Supreme Court says you do have theright, then it was a perfectly reasonableamendment and so why not vote for it?" Kennedyasked.

The representative also said his vote toprohibit the use of federal funding to encouragehomosexuality as a positive lifestyle was not ananti-gay vote.

Kennedy said schools should not promote-eitherhomosexuality or heterosexuality.

"My support of the amendment does not, in fact,prevent guidance counselors from referring astudent to a counseling group that affirmshomosexuality," Kennedy wrote in a May 10 letterto Cambridge City Councillor, Kathleen Leahy Born."It means that federal funds cannot be used to do[it]."

Kennedy said his vote to promote abstinence asthe "only 100 percent effective protection againstunwanted disease and pregnancy" was basedprimarily on medical knowledge.

"Every AIDS brochure I've ever read says thatonly way to 100 percent stop [the disease'sspread] is abstinence," Kennedy said.

While some have said that Kennedy's recentvotes show he is becoming more moderate, theDemocrat's aides maintain he still a liberal whovotes his conscience.

"Just because someone is considered aconservative does not mean I am going to voteagainst them," Kennedy said