VP Is Just Another Alumnus

Takes Break From White House to Reminisce With '69ers

By Daniel I. Silverberg

Were it not for his entourage of aides and Secret Service Agents, Vice President Al Gore '69 might have been any other alumnus celebrating his 25th reunion.

Yesterday morning, for example, he joined hundreds of his classmates on the steps of Widener Library to pose for a class picture.

Later, he and 350 others ate and reminisced at a reunion luncheon at Eliot House. The classmates--even old rivals--said they were enjoying the opportunity to mingle with their famous classmate.

"I love it, even though he beat me for Freshman Council," said Joseph F. DiMento '69. "I was pissed at first because I thought it would be a disruption. It was disruptive, but worth it."

Others, however, weren't as excited about the vice president's arrival.

"It was a nuisance," said Dr. Thomas N. Braxtan III 69.

Some classmates said they tired to take shelter from the crowd swarming around Gore.

"I appreciated the fact that Al Gore was on the other side of the courtyard," said classmate Dr. Peter C. McConarty Jr. '69.

"His dad was a senator. My uncle was a senator. Big deal," added Hibberd V.B. Kline III '69.

Gore's entrance, in fact, seemed to be much more of a hit with his classmates as with their children. He was flooded with awe-struck kids as he made his way through Eliot's rely-opened front gate, which faces the river.

"My kids had a good time with the notoriety," said Braxton. Gore spent most of his hour at the luncheon, in fact, signing autographs for children and greeting fellow classmates.

Despite the heavy security, the luncheon for many, including Tipper Gore herself, was informal. The appearance by Gore was not announced to the press.

Tipper Gore called the reunion a "psychological vacation" from the hustle and bustle of life in Washington.

"We are thorougly enjoying seing old friends and talking about issues."

The vice president himself chatted with classmates. Members of the Harvard University Band invited Gore to conduct them in "Hail to the Chief."

"It's wonderful to see so many old friends," Gore told The Crimson. "I've kept close track of the group with whom I was closest, but this is a chance to get to know many other members of the class."

Classmates later reminisced about previous meetings with Gore.

"[I had] one of those conversations with him about what are you going to do in the future, said one classmate. "When I asked him, he responded, I'm going to be a senator.'

The Class of 1969 was not completely, taken with the vice president, however. Shortly after Gore's surprised entrance, lines to meet him died down while food lines lengthened.

"We were humbled but also very hungry," said Dr. Kenric W. Hammond '69.