Gay First-Years Gather At Union for Screening

CAMPUS BRIEFS

By Tom HORAN Jr.

First-year gay and bisexual students facing the often difficult transition to college gathered for the first time last night, in a screening sponsored by the Bisexual, Gay and Lesbian Students Association (BGLSA).

The group gathered to watch the movie "The Life and Times of Harvey Milk" about the first openly gay city official in the country.

Several of the first-years, who said they have found Harvard a generally welcoming environment, noted that BGLSA didn't table at Monday's registration.

A BGLSA official at the event declined comment on why her organization was not represented at the tabling.

"I walked around looking for a BGLSA booth twice," said Jennifer T. Tattenbaum '98. "Imagine how this would be for someone closeted."

For some, the absence seemed symbolic.

"Harvard's reputation [regarding gay and bisexual awareness] was supposed to be conservative, but I came anyway," John F. Blackmer '98 said. "And Harvard did not go out of its way to be supportive. BGLSA didn't even have a booth at registration."

But most found the BGLSA event last night helpful, as an indication of a strong gay community.

"I feel very positive about the meeting," said Thomas L. Hobbs '98.

Assistant Dean of Freshmen Michael J. Middleton said the screening, which was first sponsored in 1991, is intended to reassure first-years who may feel alone or isolated at Harvard.

"I think a lot of people don't realize that there is a history to the gay movement and there are role models for young gay men and women," he said. "The [event] really began for folks who were uncomfortable about publicly coming out."