Herrnstein Dies of Cancer

Obituary

By Tara H. Arden-smith

Pierce Professor of Psychology Richard J. Herrnstein died of lung cancer in his Belmont home Tuesday night.

The 64 year-old scholar, whose theories on criminal behavior and on the inheritance of intelligence prompted almost unparalleled academic controversy at Harvard, was active and apparently healthy throughout last year, according to colleagues.

Herrnstein was diagnosed with cancer in early June after teaching at Harvard for 36 years--the longest tenure of any of his departmental colleagues.

"Professor Herrnstein's death is a bitter loss for the students in the College," said Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles. "He leaves a tragic hole in the faculty."

In the 1970s Herrnstein linked rewards and behavior, applying the implications of these relationships to learning, motivation, addiction and economic choices. For these theories he earned the skepticism of his peers.

His major books, IQ and Meritocracy, Crime and Human Nature and The Bell Curve: Intelligence and Class Structure in American Life (which is due for publication this fall) comprise much of his broad argument that people with low IQs are predisposed towards committing crimes.

Herrnstein, besides being lauded for his groundbreaking research and open classroom demeanor, was also an active "University citizen," Knowles said.

He served many terms on both the Faculty Council and the Administrative Board, and was a key member of the committee which last week released a report on the structure of Harvard College.

Herrnstein grew up in New York City, the child of Hungarian immigrants. He attended the City College of New York before earning a graduate degree from Harvard in 1955. After serving in the Army for three years he joined the Harvard faculty in 1958.

Professor of Social Psychology Robert Rosenthal, who chairs the Psychology department, described Herrnstein as a man who remained true to his roots as a New York street kid who never backed away from a fight.

"Richard was brilliant, honest and forthright," Rosenthal said. "He always played the devil's advocate and he always kept us honest. It will be tough to go on without him."

"Herrnstein's work will be cited for a long time," said Starch Professor of Psychology Jerome Kagan. "Even though his colleagues often disagreed with his views, his standards were so high that he remained universally respected, and that is rare."

Associate Professor of Psychology Gene M. Heyman, who studied under Herrnstein as a graduate student and co-taught "Psychology 1130: Behavior, Learning and Choice" with him last year, said that as controversial as Herrnstein was, he remained a consistent consensus builder.

"He was uniquely open and could find the positive in almost anything," said Heyman. "When we were students he made us all feel smart."

Psychology concentrator Jill Weitzner '96, who took two of Herrnstein's classes, said she was "heartbroken" that the professor she hoped would someday be agree to be her mentor was suddenly gone.

"He was a great teacher and a great guy," she said. "He blew away traditional ideas and loved to be challenged. He was so inquisitive, he was really a model to students."

Weitzner also described Herrnstein as scrupulously conscientious in his dealings with students. "He was always available, gracious and eager to discuss ideas, a consummate scholar," she said.

"I really cannot believe he's gone," she added. "For heaven's sake, his classes are listed in the course book."

Heyman will assume sole responsibility for the courses he and Herrnstein taught together. The classes he was scheduled to teach alone will be canceled.

Herrnstein leaves his wife, Susan; a daughter, Julia Manganaro of Fontana, California; and two sons: Max G. Herrnstein of Tokyo and James R. Herrnstein of Belmont. James Herrnstein is a graduate student and teaching fellow at Harvard.