Oregon Ex-Gov. Likely IOP Head

Streisand to Make Speech at K-School

By Dov P. Grossman

Barbara Roberts, former governor of Oregon, is reportedly the leading candidate to be the next director of the Institute of Politics (IOP) at the Kennedy School of Government.

If appointed, Roberts would replace current IOP director Charles Royer, according to an article in yesterday's Boston Globe. She would also be the first woman to hold the position on a permanent basis.

Officials at the Kennedy School, however, would neither confirm nor deny the Globe's report.

Bert I. Huang '96, chair of the IOP Student Advisory Committee, said the committee is currently conducting interviews. But he added that the candidates requested that no information be released until the final announcement.

Huang would not comment on Roberts' status as a candidate.

"Our evaluation is based on how much a candidate will help us reach out to the undergraduate community," he said.

Roberts, 58, entered the political scene on behalf of her autistic child in an effort to increase state and federal aid to mentally retarded children. In addition to the governorship, she held several elected positions in Oregon, including state representative and secretary of state.

Roberts faced many political challenges in her one term as governor, from 1990 to 1994. A liberal Democrat, she fought a Republican-controlled legislature over hotly-debated issues such as health care and government reform.

Roberts survived a traumatic term which included the deaths of both her husband and sister and two recall initiatives. She chose not to run for re-election in January of last year because John Kitzhaber, her opponent in the primary and current governor of Oregon, had stronger support, according to news accounts.

In other news, Huang and Kennedy School Director of Communications and Public Affairs Steven R. Singer both confirmed yesterday that Barbra Streisand will speak at the IOP this spring on "The Role of the Artist in Society." Huang said he believes that Streisand's appearance is "a really important way to bring a lot of under-graduates to the IOP."

A date for the event was not released. Huang said more details will be available at spring registration.

First-years can get information on the event at the Freshman Union. Upper-class students should go to the IOP for details. Tickets for this event will be lotteried, officials said