BGLSA Requests Student Center

By Chana R. Schoenberger

The Bisexual, Gay and Lesbian Students Association (BGLSA) has asked Harvard officials to create a gay student center on campus.

Such a center is needed, BGLSA Political Chair Joshua L. Oppenheimer '96-'97 wrote in an October 9 letter to Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68, because randomization will destroy the gay community's cohesiveness on campus.

"It is clear that with randomization comes the dissolution of the community-building infrastructures that had existed," Oppenheimer wrote.

BGLSA Co-Chair Pejman Razavilar '98 concurred. "The driving force behind the effort now is the randomization. It really threatens our safe space."

The center, which Oppenheimer suggested could be placed in the boker Commons, would be a small step towards restoring the "safe space" which the gay community formerly found in Adams House, according to the letter.

The new center should include office space, cafe and loungs, a library full of literature about gay issues and other "HIV and AIDS support services and counseling," Oppenheimer wrote.

Lewis said he would not comment on the request until he has met privately with BGLSA representatives to discuss their concerns.

While Oppenheimer said the letter was timed to coincide with National Coming Out Week, he said the BGLSA views its effort to secure a center as an ongoing project

"We've always wanted [a center], but we've never had the chance," said BGLSA co-chair Nadia P. Croes '98, a Lowell House resident. "We're optimistic. We haven't gotten the okay in the past, but eventually it will happen."

Constructing the student center would demostrate a commitment from Harvard administrators to providing a caring environment for all Harvard students, Oppenheimer said yesterday.

"We're looking forward to working with the University on this," Oppen-heimer said. "It could really be a dynamic, innovative space for the community."