For Brattle Theatre, Difficult Times Ahead

By Ariel R. Frank

Rising overhead and growing competition are forcing Harvard Square's Brattle Theatre to reevaluate its future plans.

The 105-year-old single-screen theater shows classic, second-run art, special reissue and first-run art films--something the Brattle's directors are finding increasingly difficult with their current budget.

"The problem with Harvard Square is that its expensive," said Marianne Lampke, co-owner and co-director of Running Arts at The Brattle Theatre, the company that programs and operates the theater.

"It's kind of a Catch-22 because we do very well here, but the problem is that the expenses are much higher [than they would be in other areas]."

Lampke said the Brattle is dealing with the high cost of real estate and property tax in the Square. In addition, recent renovations which were prerequisites of a new lease three years ago placed the theater in debt.

"We have to make about $13,000 a week to stay open," Lampke said, adding that the theater is currently paying all of its bills and is a "healthy business."

The theater's directors are meeting with people in the local film industry to come up with solutions to the Brattle's financial difficulties. Directories plan to talk to people involved with the national industry as well, Lampke said.

In a letter sent to the 1,700 members of the Brattle mailing list last weekend, the co-directors asked for support and ideas which would help the theater stay vital.

Lampke said quite a few people in the theater industry have called to express concern and interest in ways that they might collaborate with the Brattle.

She would not cite any specific ideas, but said that the Brattle is seeking to merge with another exhibitor or a nonprofit arts organization or to form its own nonprofit company.

Patrons of the theater were concerned about its future as they waited in line last night to see "Daughters of Darkness," a lesbian, vampire film.

"I don't know what I would do [if the Brattle were forced to close ]," said Susan D. Earle, who lives in Cambridge and attends films at the Brattle about twice a month. "The only way to see old movies is to come here. It has it character and history."

Other movie-goers expressed interest in preserving a theater that shows an alternative genre.

"It's not the same seeing [alternative movies] at home," said Mike V. Dain, who lives in Boston and frequents the Brattle a couple of times a month. "It's a communal experience. The people who come here are devoted fans."

One fan said he would feel obligated to support the theater if its situation becomes dire.

"Good god, it's of unparalled importance," added John L. Galligan, who works in Cambridge and attends the theater two to four times a month. "You don't get the commitment to [alternative] films anywhere else. There is not a multiplex in America that's going to run that."

"If [the directors] come back and tell us that's the only way we can survive, I may have to consider [helping]," he said.

Harvard students and faculty will be affected as well if the Brattle's problems worsen.

According to Lampke, many Harvard faculty and staff and some students are Brattle clientele.

Still, she said she would like to see increased student support of the theater.

"We'd like to get more students," she said. "We're not getting as many as the Brattle has gotten in its history. It certainly seems like student-type programming."

Lampke said the Brattle's fate hinges upon area movie patrons' interest.

"Everybody's got to fight a little bit for this place," she said.

When the theater's lease expires in 2001, Lampke hopes the single-screen art house will not become obsolete.

"If all of the film programming in this country is done by theater chains, the public will not have access to people who are out there willing to do other programming," she said.

"It kind of depends on what happens with this next phase. If we can bring the theater to an area where we can have more resources available to it, then we can have all kinds of possibilities, but it's got to prove itself between now and then," she said