Gay Student Center Essential

TO THE EDITORS

The Harvard Gay & Lesbian Caucus, founded in 1983, is composed of over 1,700 alumni/ae, faculty and staff of Harvard College and the Harvard Graduate and professional Schools. In 1987 the Caucus established The Open Gate: A Fund for Gay and Lesbian Life at Harvard University, a charitable foundation which receives tax-deductible donations from Caucus members and makes grants to finance events and projects which benefit gay, lesbian and bisexual students.

As Co-Chair of the Caucus, I feel that the BGLSA's proposal for a gay and lesbian student center has considerable merit, even though details such as the most suitable space and the precise facilities to be offered may be subject to adjustment. The gay-friendly space of Adams House has been a haven for generations of g/l/b Harvard undergraduates. The decision to randomize house assignments, by ending the concentration of gay students at Adams, creates an urgent need for an alternative. The hate-filled AALARM campaign underscores the need for a safe place in which students may nurture a healthy and happy gay and lesbian community.

It is the responsibility of the University to provide for the needs of its students. A gay/lesbian/bisexual student center should, accordingly, be financed by Harvard funds. Once Harvard has met this responsibility, however, additional funding and non-financial assistance will be available from the Caucus and The Open Gate. The generosity of Harvard's g/l/b alumni/ae, faculty and staff should not be discounted when projects such as the center are under considerations.

The members of the Caucus are proud to declare both our affiliation to Harvard and our gay, lesbian or bisexual orientation. Many of us take additional pride in being able to offer financial help through the vehicle of The Open Gate. We welcome will like-minded faculty, staff and alumni/ae to join us. --Robert W. Mack '71   Co-Chair, Harvard Gay & Lesbian   Caucus