Marking the Fogg's Century This Weekend

By Thomas Madsen

This weekend Harvard Art Museums will celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Fogg beginning with an evening of poetry at Memorial Church featuring Nobel Laureate Seamus Heaney. The event is free and open to the public. For more information call 495-9400.

Friday, November 3

8:00 p.m. Memorial Church.

Following an introductory talk by Porter University Professor Helen Vendler, poets Seamus Heaney, John Ashberry and Jorie Graham will read selections from their work. The evening will end with "Come Ye Sons of Art" by Henry Purcell, performed by the University Choir and the Centenary Chamber Orchestra.

Saturday, November 4

All art museums will be open to the public free of charge from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. with gallery tours offered every half hour.

12:30 p.m. Lunch at the Harvard Faculty Club.

James Cuno, director of Harvard Art Museums and J. Carter Brown '56, director emeritus of the National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C., will speak. Tickets required, $75.

9:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. Centennial Gala Ball

Major art celebrities Christo, Frank Gehry, Ellsworth Kelly and Miss Mary will attend, tickets required, $150.

Sunday, November 5

1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. "Off the Walls: An Afternoon of Student Performances." Free and open to the public. Harvard's Museums will be free and open during these hours as well.