Election Could Shift City's Balance of Power

ELECTION '95

By C.r. Mcfadden

A day before tomorrow's city election, many observers say they expect to see a battle between two progressive candidates and a conservative for two seats on the nine-person Cambridge City Council.

At stake in tomorrow's election is whether the progressive Cambridge Civic Association (CCA) will retain its one-vote majority on the city council or if the balance of power will shift to the conservative Alliance for Change.

The abolition of rent control, a drop of 4,000 registered voters since the last election and the emergence of the Alliance slate are all factors which may make this election the closest in recent history.

Many feel Alliance-backed James J. McSweeney, Jr. will be vying with CCA-endorsed candidates Henrietta A. Davis and Kathleen L. Born for the final positions.

Born barely captured the ninth seat in 1993, edging out McSweeney by 47 votes, while Davis led the ticket in the school committee race that year.

"Many feel Born is not an effective councillor and is vulnerable," said Donald L.K. Trumbull, chair of the Cambridge Republican Committee. "Rent control--her big issue--is gone, so she has had to find a new base."

"Henrietta Davis has historically done well in the neighborhoods where Born has been successful, but she has a base of voters much larger than the number who voted for Born," he said.

McSweeney said that he expects to benefit from a "conservative swing" among voters. "People are just looking for new ideas and more creativity," he said.

The Reeves Factor

Under a unique proportional voting system, Cambridge voters can pick several candidates and rank their votes in order of preference. The leftover votes are then distributed to other candidates.

Transfer votes from supporters of Mayor Kenneth E. Reeves '72, who many consider guaranteed re-election, could tip the scales in favor of the CCA candidates.

Reeves commands a loyal following among his supporters, who include "blacks, gays and whites across the city," and his surplus votes might be split in a variety of directions, according to former councillor William H. Walsh, who was forced off the council last spring after being convicted of embezzle ment charges.

Campaign aides to the mayor said they are instructing his supporters to also vote for Davis and Born.

"This will be very interesting. Ken commands intense loyalty," Walsh said. "But you can never be certain once people get inside the voting booth."

'Race Is Tightening'

Because incumbents historically enjoy notoriously high re-election rates, much attention has focused on the council's one open seat--created by CCA-endorsed Jonathan S. Meyers' decision to step down after six years of service--and on the seat currently held by Born.

Earlier this month, observers said they expected the Alliance to benefit from a desire to cut taxes and last November's abolition of rent control.

Alliance members think they now have a chance at claiming some of the monolithic support from the city's 15,000 tenants who live in rent-controlled apartments that CCA candidates had secured before.

"Rent control is gone, and people want fiscal accountability," said Linda B. Levine, co-chair of the Small Property Owners Association.

But neighborhood pundits said the CCA has stepped up its pressure on progressive voters, and the race has tightened considerably.

"My feeling is that in the last week, the CCA and Reeves have picked up support and winds are changing," said John R. Clifford, an advisor to Reeves.

Although rent control was the divisive issue drawing voters to the polls since 1970, its abolition by statewide referendum last November means that citizens must now focus on other issues.

The immediate selection of a new police commissioner, a superintendent of schools in 1997, affordable housing and economic development are all issues with which the new council will have to deal.

Low Turnout Expected

Artis B. Spears, chair of the Cambridge Election Commission, said this veritable feast of important issues has not energized the city's 40,100 registered voters. Spears predicts a voter turnout of approximately 40 percent.

"Broader issues aren't as heart rendering as rent control," said Walsh. "I see a turnout of about 19,000. Conservatives were the first choice of 55 percent of voters in 1993 but were at a disadvantage because CCA-endorsed candidates received a huge number of transfer votes."

But times have changed.

Some observers say the recent loss of registered voters resulted from the displacement of tenants in formerly rent-controlled buildings, while others contend the decline reflects an apathy among city residents.

"Tenants have been forced out of the city...The CCA base is disappearing," said Joanne A. Preston, chair of the Agassiz Tenants Union.

Some see a conservative ideology running through the city, evidenced by the emergence of the Christian Coalition, candidates' willing to advocate large spending cuts and the recent adoption of a residency requirement for city employees--a bill ardently opposed by the CCA.

But Clifford said new tenants are largely progressive and will not vote for candidates bent on reversing policies which have established the city's reputation as a haven for liberals: "The People's Republic of Cambridge."

Bases of Support

Observers say tomorrow's election will pivot on whether candidates are able to mobilize their core constituencies.

Councillor Katherine Triantafillou and challenger Jonathan D. Spampinato will compete for the city's gay and lesbian vote. Vice-Mayor Sheila T. Russell draws large support from senior citizens, and Councillor Timothy J. Toomey, Jr. banks on votes from East Cambridge residents.

Tenants and supporters of subsidies for affordable housing will smile upon the CCA slate, especially outspoken activist Lester P. Lee, Jr, while former opponents of rent control will back the Alliance candidates.

Councillor Anthony D. Galluccio and challengers Craig A. Kelley, McSweeney and Spampinato hope to appeal to younger voters, and the minority community may band together to support Marty Connor, Lee, Ralph A. Lopez, Barbara J. Pilgrim and Reeves.

Folls will be open tomorrow from 7 a.m. through 8 p.m

'Race Is Tightening'

Low Turnout Expected

But times have changed.

Bases of Support