M. Hockey to Take on Tigers

Crimson Looking for Consistency After Back-to-Back Losses

By Jessica E. Kahan

There's no denying that last weekend was rough on the Harvard men's hockey team (5-5-1, 4-3-1 ECAC), both on their bodies and their spirits. But after two tough losses to ECAC rivals St. Lawrence and Clarkson, a healthier Harvard squad is looking to turn things around this weekend in Princeton (3-7-2, 1-6-1).

The injuries that plagued the Crimson last weekend and kept them off the ice for Monday's practice have begun to heal. Beginning Tuesday, the team was back in skates and practicing hard to face Princeton with something to prove.

Captain Brad Konik practiced this week and will be dressing Friday night. His status is day to day, though, and although he will at least play in penalty killing situations, his playing time in the regular shift is still uncertain.

Sophomore forward Henry Higdon will not return to the line up in time to play Princeton, but freshman Mike Bent who had sustained a concussion will be back.

As the injuries which had been plaguing the Crimson heal, the team is looking toward this weekend's game with optimism.

"We were a bit down, but at the same time everyone realizes we're struggling because of injuries," Konik said. "But we're excited to face Princeton for two reasons. First we're coming off two losses and it would be nice to get a win before Christmas. And second our line-up is pretty close to full strength."

Senior defender Peter McLaughlin echoed Konik's sentiments.

"This is definitely a win," he said. "You can't lose three in a row, so I think the guys are pretty excited about this one."

But even though only Dartmouth sits beneath Princeton in the ECAC standings, the Crimson are not looking beyond the Tigers.

"Coach said this and its absolutely right. Every year they come out from the get go going hard and they're a really physical team," junior defender Ashlin Halfnight said. "We need to do the same and play the whole 60 minutes that way. We're the better team--we just need to show it."

Senior goaltender Tripp Tracy added that Princeton is expecting a sell out crowd this weekend and that at home the Tigers always seem to play especially hard.

"I don't think they'll have any trouble getting out strong--they'll be sky high," he said.

But no one on the team seems worried about Princeton's physical style of play even in light of their aching bodies.

"I think guys are going to lay it on the line and then take the time over break to recuperate," Halfnight said. "This weekend will be a big weekend. I'm sick of winning a couple and then losing one and then losing a couple and winning one. Hopefully we'll win this one and carry it with us into the new year."

And tonight's game in Princeton could be a spring board into more successes in the upcoming year.

"I think everyone realizes it's a long season," Tracy said. "I'm a senior. The guys in my class see the urgency. We're definitely not down. We're excited for the game."