Scholar of German Art Dies

Francke Professor of German Art and Culture, Emeritus, Henry C. Hatfield '33, who was known for his critical studies of such authors as Thomas Mann and Franz Kafka, died Tuesday at Youville Hospital in Cambridge. He was 84.

Hatfield, a scholar of modern German fiction, earned an A.B. degree from Harvard in 1933.

After obtaining a Ph.D. from Columbia University in 1942, he taught at Williams College until 1946. From 1946 until 1953, he taught at Columbia University.

In 1953, Hatfield came to Harvard as an associate professor, where he held Fulbright and Guggenheim fellowships.

He continued teaching both undergraduates and graduate students until his retirement in 1978, when he began teaching at the Extension School.

Publications

Among Hatfield's publications are Thomas Mann A Collection of Critical Essays (1964) and Modern German Literature. The Major Figures in Context (1966).

From 1947 to 1952, he served as one of the editors of The Germanic Review.

Hatfield is survived by his wife, Jane Hatfield of Cambridge.

He is also survived by his daughter, Barbara Bazyn of Chelses, lows, and his son, Robert Hatfield of Florence, Italy.