Canadian Rhodes Scholar Chosen

By Malka A. Older

Chimene I. Keitner '96 has been selected as a Rhodes Scholar, the Maritimes Selection Committee for the Rhodes Scholarships announced yesterday.

Keitner, a history and literature concentrator and Adams House resident, said she will apply to study for a masters degree in Philosophy in International Relations at Oxford University.

The scholarships, which have been presented annually since 1903, offer full tuition and living expenses for two years of study.

The names of the Canadian winners were announced yesterday, but selection of scholars from the United States will not be made until December 9.

The Maritimes Selection Committee, a district committee in Eastern Canada, said in a press release that "scholars must be of the highest academic calibre but must also show leadership and distinction in sports or student and community affairs."

Along with being a "straight A" student, according to the committee. Keitner is involved in theater, jazz dance, aerobics and hiking.

She was a research intern at the Institute for Women's Policy and worked as a parliamentary assistant to the Deputy Secretary of State for Education in the French National Assembly.

Keitner, who specializes in French and American literature, spent last year studying in Paris.

She was one of two students to receive scholarships from the Maritime provinces, which include New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.

The endorsement procedure for Canadian students is similar to that for Americans, Keitner said.

After applying for and receiving Harvard's endorsement, Keitner, along with the other candidates in the Maritime region, flew to Halifax. Nova Scotia, this weekend for individual thirty-minute interviews with the selection committee.

"It's pretty emotionally charged weekend for everybody," Keitner said