W. Basketball's Bench Rises to Occasion

By Ethan G. Drogin

Saturday's 91-66 blow-out victory against Brown was more than a win; it was a celebration of Harvard's bench.

"Our bench was unbelievable," junior guard Elizabeth Proudfit said. "Kelly Black, Cara James...our whole team was in a zone."

"I can't really describe the way I feel," sophomore forward Kelly Black added. "Everybody came together... the talking and cheering on the bench. We were so pumped up."

Harvard's reserves accounted for 42 of the 91 Crimson points, led by Black's 12 points a season high. The forward connected on all four of her three point attempts, and provided a spark off the bench.

Black banked in her first attempt, swished her next two, and finished by canning a trey from NBA range which would've made Dan Marjele proud.

"She's certainly capable of making them," an elated coach Kathy Delaney Smith said. "Kelly's had every adversity thrown at her. She's playing with a stress fracture in her left foot. She deserves this."

Three point accuracy has become a trademark of this team. Over the last three games, Harvard has shot an unheard of 54 percent from down-town, connecting on 27-50 shots during the stretch.

The hot shooting can be attributed to the Crimson fast-break, which has created numerous uncontested looks at the basket.

One beneficiary of these open shots has been freshman Sarah Brandt. The forward has been Harvard's version of Vinnie "The Microwave" Johnson over the last three games, coming off the bench and heating up quickly.

One of the first substitutes into the game, Brandt has displayed a knack for finding open space and knocking down the open three. Brandt had seven points against the Bears, including a trey.

Sophomore guard James and freshman forward Karun Grossman also added some scoring punch against Brown. James and Grossman each connected from behind the three point arc and finished with seven and five points respectively.

Junior forward Liz Gettelman has also been a major contributor in recent weeks. She netted seven against Brown and eight in a starting role against Yale Friday.

"Everyone stepped it up," Gettelman said. "We didn't lose any momentum [when the subs entered the game]."

"I think we've got the deepest bench in the league," Delaney Smith added.

No argument here, coach.