Currier Residents Lose Hot Water for Two Days

Students Advised to Shower in Q-RAC Thanks to Delayed Arrival of New Heater

By Raphael B. Folsom

Residents in the Daniels wing of Currier House have been without hot water since Friday and do not expect to have it back until tonight, students interviewed said yesterday.

The problem began last Tuesday when students complained about the lukewarm water in their showers.

According to Bob McCurtain, the plumber who was hired by Currier House to repair the problem, a new hot water heater was supposed to have arrived at the dorm by Friday.

Currier House Superintendent Edward F. McGeoghean turned off the hot water in Daniels in anticipation of the heater's arrival, students said. But due to an error made by United Parcel Service (UPS), the heater never came, McCurtain said.

As a result, the showers in Daniels went from lukewarm to ice-cold.

"When you turn the hot water on now, absolutely nothing comes out," said one Currier resident. "It sounds like the pipe is gagging."

Though the superintendent's office has advised students to shower in the nearby Quadrangle Recreational Athletic Center (Q-RAC) until the new heater arrives, many students have chosen to shower in their friends' dorm rooms instead.

Students interviewed yesterday said they are unhappy about the situation.

"I feel like a bugaboo when it comes to keeping up my personal hygiene, going to use my friends' showers every day," said Daniels resident Aaron M. Myers '97.

Students said the lack of hot water is only one of many maintenance problems Daniels has faced over the past year.

Myers recalled a recent incident in which his sink overflowed and destroyed a large quantity of his and his roommates' cosmetics and medicine.

Cara V. James '97 said that the Daniels elevator broke down two weeks ago. Many students also said that the House's heating was erratic.

"When my roommate opens the window in his room," said one student, "for some reason the heat in my room turns off."

Daniels residents said they expect the new hot water heater to arrive today. Until then, they will continue to trek to the Q-RAC.

"We're getting along OK," Myers said. "We've dealt with domestic disaster before, we can deal with it again."