New Theater Group to Premiere This Spring

Audience Will Prompt Comedy Players in Original Murder Mystery Performance

By Alison D. Overholt

The newly approved student thespian group Observatory Theater plans to produce, direct and act in an original full-length mystery play this May, members said at a meeting Sunday night.

The group, comprised of 14 first-years and one sophomore, was formed in February with the objective of providing "a unique opportunity to allow people who are interested in writing, producing, acting and directing comedy, a forum for creativity," according to Nicholas A. Stoller '98, who is directing this year's play and is also a Crimson editor.

"For Whom the Crow Caws: A Harvard Whodunit" is a full-length mystery play which the group will perform in the Freshman Union from May 9-11.

Written by Jordan M. Singer '97, the play combines a murder mystery with a spoof of college life at Harvard and is audience-interactive.

The play has several possible endings, and audience participation will determine what direction the story line takes in each performance, according to Suzanne C. Lye'98, the group's artistic director.

"Right before we go into the final scenes, we'll ask the audience who they think [committed the murder], and that will shape the way the ending is acted," Lye said.

Observatory Theater was formed by six first-years who all belong to the Instant Gratification Players (IGP), one of Harvard's impromptu theater groups. While all six are still active members of IGP, they also wanted to take part in a production "based on the technical aspects of putting on a formal production," Singer said.

The group takes its name from Weld Observatory, where the thespians hold their weekly meeting. However, its members also "observe life and make it funny," said Felix H. Cheun '98, Observatory Theater's manager.

Several of the founding members of Observatory Theater auditioned for--but were not accepted into--"The Real Class of '98," a recent production which spoofed first-year life at Harvard.

"Some of us tried out for "The Real Class' and we didn't get in, and after that we sort of decided to form Observatory Theater," said Ivan Velasco Jr. '98, the group's internal secretary.

Velasco added that "by forming our own group, we can not only write our own play this year, but also in subsequent years."

Singer, the group's playwright, approached the six founders with a Valentine's Day comedy he had written, and "the next thing I knew they wanted me to write [a play for the group to perform]," he said. Observatory Theater is considering performing Singer's Valentine play next year.

Once a script was chosen, Observatory Theater began to approach students to expand its membership.

"[I was] recruited in the dining hall," said Adina H. Rosenbaum '98.

J. Christopher Paul '98, who is a member of the a cappella group the Opportunes, was invited to join the group to show them how to stage a cappella scenes in the play. Paul was particularly interested in the group because he was "involved in an entirely student-run theater group in high school," he said.

Funded by grants from both the Freshman Dean's Office and the Undergraduate Council, Observatory Theater is looking forward to a successful first season. Velasco said the group may also produce its own comedy publication in the future.