Higher Copyright Fees Raise Sourcebook Prices

By Kenton H. Beerman

Every semester, the God of Sourcebooks demands sacrifice. And every semester, he gets a little hungrier.

The cost per page of sourcebooks increased this term, as it did last term, and the term before, and the term before, probably stretching back to 1636.

This year, the cost increase is due to a February crackdown on Square businesses who violated copyright laws by neglecting to pay publishers' fees. Copyright fees now comprise more than 50 percent of textbook costs, according to William Witt, copyright officer in Harvard's Office of Sourcebook Publications.

Administrators at the Sourcebook Publishing Office say professors are working to keep prices down. "Their sympathies are with the students," says Jennie Johnstone, production manager of sourcebook publishing. "I know they're aware of the costs, because they often talk to us about dropping articles with large fees."

Steven R. Singer, who teaches a class at the Kennedy School of Government, says he keeps track of publishing costs when designing his sourcebook.

"I teach a class where we use course material," Singer said in a summer interview. "I have occasionally not included material that was marginal in value because of cost."

Sometimes, he added, professors have no choice.

"Generally, if it's important material, you have to use it," he said.

Witt says he has noticed a slight decrease in the physical size, and thus the overall cost, of some sourcebooks this year. The book for Historical Studies A-68 cost $104 last year, he said, but this year it topped the chart at a mere $92.50.

However, the general upward trend in sourcebook prices appears to continue as publishers' charges rise. "Random House charges up to 10 cents per page per student, and Simpson and Schuster is now near 20 cents," Witt said.

The increase started three years ago, according to Witt, when Kinko's was sued by five different publishers for creating sourcebooks without receiving permission.

"Kinko's lost $1.5 million and went out of the book business," he said. "After the lawsuit, copyright requests doubled, and a lot of publishers that did not use to charge have suddenly charged."

Some students have resigned themselves to the situation. "Everybody wants to complain about the cost, but no one has a solution," said Kim M. Nichols '97.

But for others, the sense of moral indignation remains.

"$40 for a bunch of photocopies is way too much," said Kenneth F. LeCointe '98.

"Paying $400 for books for four classes is ridiculous," said David J. Kressel '99. "The sourcebooks are close to $50, even though they've got cheap plastic bindings and aren't hardbound."

And fewer and fewer students can escape the cost: nearly 75 percent of SHarvard's core courses now require students to purchase sourcebooks. Some have developed their own methods for finding the material.

"I go to the library every time I need sourcebooks instead of buying them because they're so expensive," Shelby E. Watson '97 said, "Plus, they're so inconvenient to buy. You can't...return them.