Hasty Pudding To Recognize Ford, Sarandon

Man, Woman of the Year to Receive Annual 'Pot' in February Events

By Courtney A. Coursey

The Hasty Pudding Theatricals announced Monday it that it plans to honor Harrison Ford and Susan Sarandon as its man and woman of the year.

Students and other Cambridge residents can see Sarandon on February 12, at 2 p.m. as she leads a parade through Harvard Square beginning at the Inn at Harvard.

Sarandon will ride in an open-air car with costumed members of the cast of "Morocco 'Round the Clock," the Pudding's 148th production.

After the parade, Sarandon will receive a "Pudding Pot" in the Hasty Pudding Theater.

Ford will receive his pot on February 20, prior to the opening night performance. Tickets for the event, which are available by invitation only, are $100 each.

Although Sarandon has been nominated for three Academy Awards in recent years, Matthew B. Colangelo '96, producer of "Morocco 'Round the Clock" and a member of the Pudding selection committee, said it was some of her earlier work that caught his eye.

"We chose Susan Sarandon because, of course, we saw her in the 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' when we were in junior high school, and we thought that she looked like a lot of fun," Colangelo said.

Ford received a nod from the Pudding based on decades of "cool" acting.

"Harrison Ford has been in some of the coolest movies ever...He's an incredible actor," said Dana A. Wallach '97, publicity manager for Hasty Pudding Theatricals. "He's had an extremely long career."

Other motivations closer to the hearts of Pudding members also sparked the decision to honor Ford.

"We chose Harrison Ford because we though that he would look very good in a bra and a wig," Colangelo said.

In addition, both actors will receive small gifts at their roasts. This year's gifts have not been announced, but last year Tom Hanks received a decorated bra.

"You'll just have to wait and see, but I'm sure it'll be funny," Wallach said.

Patricia McQueeney, Harrison Ford's agent, said that her client is "very flattered and very honored" that the Pudding chose him to receive the award.

She said the fact that Ford will take a day off to travel to Cambridge to receive the award proves how pleased he is, since he is never distracted from his work.

The Pudding selects the male and female actors who they believe have made an "outstanding and lasting contribution to the world of entertainment," according to Wallach.

The decision to recognize Ford and Sarandon was actually made before last summer, Wallach said.

Sarandon joins the ranks of such women as Katharine Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Sally Field, Meg Ryan and Michelle Pfeiffer, who have received the award, established in 1951.

Past "Man of the Year" recipients include Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Robert DeNiro, Steven Speilberg, Steve Martin and Tom Hanks. The men's award was established in 1963.

Sarandon has received three Academy Award nominations in the past four years for her roles in "Thelma and Louise," "Lorenzo's Oil" and "The Client."

She also appeared in "The Rocky Horror Picture Show," "Bull Durham," "The Witches of Eastwick" and "Bob Roberts" as well as in several Broadway plays.

Ford's film credits include "American Graffiti," "Apocalypse Now," "Blade Runner," "Working Girl," "Presumed Innocent," Patriot Games," The Fugitive" and "Clear and Present Danger." His most recent film is the 1995 remake of the Humphrey Bogart classic "Sabrina.