Pherinos Tries to Resurrect PRISM

By Caroline T. Nguyen

This fall, Aristarchus Pherinos '96-'97 is struggling to re-establish a club he deems essential to Harvard's diverse community.

Among the dozens of established ethnic student organizations on campus, a club for black interracial students, called PRISM, is attempting to resurrect itself.

PRISM seeks to provide a forum in which black interracial students can voice their feelings and issues of concern, according to the yellow flyers decorating campus bulletin boards.

Pherinos, who hails from a family with an African-American mother and a father of Jewish and Greek descent, explained some of the challenges facing students who also find themselves in his shoes.

He described feelings of partiality and disloyalty when a child identifies more with the racial heritage of one parent, rather than both.

"People have issues, and they can be very difficult and touchy issues," Pherinos said.

While the senior social studies concentrator does not yet have a definite plan in mind for the club, he has decided that PRISM will take a different direction this year. Although The Unofficial Guide to Life at Harvard lists PRISM as a "discussion group for biracial students," Pherinos said his vision for the club is much broader.

"It seems artificial to just set up discussion groups because it is a sensitive issue for many people," he said.

As a result, he is planning to introduce speakers and the organization of social events into the club's agenda.

So far, however, student support has been minimal.

Although the posted flyers provide Pherinos' phone number, there have been no calls of inquiry about the club aside from friends' concerns about how the club is doing, he said.

Nonetheless, Pherinos remains optimistic and continues to advocate for PRISM.

"Look at Harvard," he said. "Among students of African descent, there's quite a disproportionately large amount of the student population who are students of mixed descent."

"It just seems like there's a need for [PRISM], and it seems to me like it's something people would be interested in," he added.

Derrick N. Ashong '97, co-president of the Black Students Association (BSA), said he is entirely supportive of Pherinos' attempt to represent this segment of Harvard's community.

"The BSA is supportive of the efforts of all student organizations, especially those of black students," Ashong said. "I wish Ari [Pherinos] the best of luck in his efforts this year. Ultimately, however, the success of the club will depend on the contribution and the efforts of the students."

Although PRISM has existed at Harvard in the past, it has not been a viable and well-established organization in recent years. According to Stephen E. Weinberg '99, a member of the Undergraduate Council, the club did not receive funding from the council last year.

But Pherinos intends to apply for grants from the Harvard Foundation and the council this term in order to rebuild the club's resources.

"It's an important organization," he concludes, "and I definitely think that it'll do all right.