Shuttle to Airport Starts Operation

Despite the protests of local taxi drivers, a new hourly shuttle bus service has begun to operate between Harvard Square and Logan International Airport.

Shuttles will leave hourly during the week from Johnston Gate at the price of $8 each way.

Following a long legal battle with local taxi drivers, the City Council last month agreed to license U.S. Shuttle, Inc., to operate in Cambridge.

City Councillor Anthony M. Galluccio, who has led the minority opposing the licensing of the shuttle service, said U.S. Shuttle is getting what amounts to a "free ride."

He said it is unfair that the Waltham-based company does not need to pay the $8500 licensing fee that new cab operators face and that its drivers do not face the same stringent regulations as taxi drivers.

In addition, Galluccio said the new service may rob taxi drivers of their best "fares."

Cab drivers said they typically earn $15 to $20 for a trip to East Boston's Logan Airport, depending on the traffic.

Denied this source of income, some drivers may lose their jobs and be unable to provide transportation for the elderly, the poor or people who just want a ride across town Galluccio.

"The U.S. Shuttle is going to be devastating to the taxi industry," he said. "It won't be affordable to drive a taxi, and you won't be able to catch a cab in Cambridge."

Cab drivers also expressed disappointment that the City Council gave them a new competitor.

"Anything that takes away some of our business is a threat," said cab driver Neosoln Hernandez.

Drivers already have meager profits, said taxi operator Charles Joujoute, who in a typical day "works 12 hours or more and only brings home $50."

But Jim Wall, the general manager of U.S. Shuttle, said he is simply trying to provide a service.

"The Department of Public Utilities agrees with us that there is a need for our services," said Wall. "Providing service will be good for Cambridge as a whole."

Wall said the new van service may benefit taxi drivers by bringing more prospective clients to Cambridge.

On weekdays, vans run hourly from 6:50 a.m. to 5:50 p.m., Wall said. Advance reservations are needed for weekends and holidays.

Student Reaction

Students were for the most part excited about the new shuttle service.

Previously, students had the choice of paying $20 for a cab or spending as much as an hour on three different subway lines.

"I think it is a lot more convenient, and [I] would definitely use it," said Neil Vey '00.

But Andy Davis '98 said he will still use a taxi to avoid the inconvenience of "hoping the shuttle leaves on time, waiting for everyone else, and the inconvenience of only leaving every hour."