FDO Allows Proctors To Keep Pets in Dorms

Warm fuzzies are easier to come by for first-years, thanks to a recent policy change by the Freshman Dean's Office (FDO) that allows proctors to have pets.

"[Pets provide] unconditional friendship, and sometimes at Harvard there's not lot of that," said Matthew J. DeGreeff '89, a Grays West proctor who works in the Admission and Financial Aid Office and the owner of Bix, a Chesapeake Bay retriever.

Under the new policy, which was proposed by Dean of Freshmen Elizabeth Studley Nathans and approved by Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68, proctors who choose to have pets must register them with the FDO.

The new policy reverses a decision made in the fall of 1993 by former Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57, which prevented proctors from having pets in their rooms. Lewis said in an e-mail message that he thought Jewett's policy resulted from health concerns.

Nathans and Lewis both said they think that suitable arrangements have been made to address the concerns of first-years who might object the presence of a pet for health-related or other reasons.

Those arrangements include requiring proctors to carry personal liability insurance, obtain proof of vaccination, comply with Cambridge leash laws and provide the FDO with the name and telephone number of a local veterinarian, among other rules.

"Officers who keep pets are required to be proactive in volunteering to meet [with proctees] other than in their apartments or suites," reads the policy that the FDO sent to proctors.

"I think it's a good thing," said Proctor Sarah-Anne Henning '91 of the policy change. "I would have had [a pet] if they had told us a few months ago. I had one all lined up."

Aaron R. Dinner '94, the first proctor to register a pet, said he was pleased by the change.

The physics graduate student's well-loved cat, Schrodinger, is named after the famed quantum mechanics analogy "Schrodinger's cat."

Perhaps one of the most enthusiastic pet owners is DeGreeff, who is in his fourth year of proctoring with Bix.

Because Bix was DeGreeff's dog before Jewett changed the rules, DeGreef has been able to keep him. He said he looks forward to other pets joining Bix in the Yard, saying they add a "human element to the entryway."

He recalls a time when a first-year woman had a conflict with her roommates.

"She was crying and very angry. Bix walked up and jumped on her and licked the tears off her face," DeGreef said. "He just gave her the right kind of affection you can't always get."

DeGreeff also said that he is more visible because of the amount of time he spends outside with Bix.

"I get to meet so many of the students outside of my entryway," he said.

Nathans expressed confidence that proctors "will be responsible owners," and Yard Manager Merle A. Bicknell said she does not expect any problems with facility damage.

"Harvard has experience with it and hasn't had many problems," she said, referring to the longstanding policy which allows University officers to have pets in the Houses.

Lewis and Nathans, confident the policy change will not infringe upon first-years in the Yard, said they are happy with the change.

"I hope the freshmen get some pleasure from having some furry things around!" Lewis said