Students Rush to Send Absentee Ballots

Many Harvard students eager to vote in today's election found yesterday that it would cost them $10.75 to exercise their democratic rights.

Although registered Massachusetts voters will line up at the polls today, Harvard students from out of state waited on long lines at the Cambridge post office yesterday to send their absentee ballots via overnight mail.

"Paying to vote is kind of unfortunate," said Henry B. Wilde '97, as he waited on line yesterday. "I'm sort of dreading it."

Wilde, an Illinois resident, received his absentee ballot on Saturday after applying for it about three weeks ago. His ballot must be received by 7 p.m. tonight.

"[Voting] is a pain, because I just got [the ballot] today," said Cynthia Sanchez, a graduate student in education.

Sanchez, a California resident, requested her ballot about three weeks ago and received it yesterday.

Students who never received their absentee ballots because of glitches in the system will not get to vote at all.

Alexandra R. Wilkis '99 said yesterday that she and two of her roommates, all of whom applied for their ballots weeks ago, will not be able to vote today. Wilkis said! she requested a ballot during the first week of school and has repeatedly called the New York voter registration office to request one since, but she never received her ballot.

The absentee ballot process of some states can be too difficult for students to complete.

Minnesota requires that all absentee ballots have a signature from a witness who must be from the same county as the voter, said resident Matthew L. Kramer '98, who is a Crimson editor.

Other states make it easier on voters by requiring only that ballots be post-marked the day before the election.

Some voters, however, said they are skeptical about how much their votes matter if they are counted after the elections have been decided.

"It really doesn't matter anyway," said Christopher A. Bassolino '97, as he stood in line yesterday. "I'm just fulfilling my civic duty."

For some students, absentee balloting was not worth the hassle.

"I was kind of pissed off with the whole thing, but I didn't like either of the candidates enough anyway to care too much," said Wilkis.

Amy D. Gelsone '00 said she was voting Republican, although she added that she thinks Dole will lose.

"Maybe I shouldn't send it," she said as she stood in line to send her ballot through overnight mail.

Others expressed concern, however, that their voices would not be heard on important issues.

Sanchez said that she was concerned that many California residents here would not get to vote on Proposition 209, a Republican-sponsored bill eliminating affirmative action of any kind in the state.

Absentee balloting will be important because the vote on the proposition will be close, Sanchez said.

Andersen C. Fisher '99 expressed frustration at having to pay $15 to FedEx his vote, but he said that he wanted to vote for representatives from his home state of Texas.

"I was really excited for the chance to vote against Dick Armey, the House Majority Leader, because he is in my district this year for the first time," Fisher said.

"The chance to vote for anybody but him made my $15 worthwhile," he added.