Annual Expo Explores Women's Leadership

Event Hosted by Radcliffe Union of Students

By William P.moynahan

Dozens of students will gather in Emerson Hall today to participate in Radcliffe Union of Students's annual Women's leadership.

Jennifer P. Stevens '98, Radcliffe Union of Students (RUS) secretary and a co-organizer of the event, said the day-long conference, entitled "Learning to Lead," will attempt to promote discussion, provide role models and mentors and create a network of support for women.

The event begins with a keynote address at 9 a.m. by Betsey Wright, the former chief of staff to then-Arkansas governor Bill Clinton.

Wright's speech will be followed by a panel of student leaders and administrators discussing women's leadership on campus.

Panel members include Avery W. Gardiner '97, William D. Zerhouni '97, Diana L. Adair '98, Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III and Sandra A. Naddaff '75, co-master of Mather House.

Gardiner said she believed the current state of awareness on women's leadership has been building since last semester.

"Last spring [Harvard Political Union] held a forum and several campus publications ran pieces," she said. "That set the stage for continued discussion this year."

Participants are also optimistic, saying they believe the effects of the conference will outlive today's events. And at least one panel member said the growing discussion is a sign that leadership opportunities on campus for women are improving.

"The opening of this dialogue is a result of things getting better," said Zerhouni, president of the Harvard-Radcliffe Republican Alliance (HRA).

"HRA appeals to a broad base," he said. "We're very proud of the fact that half of our officers are women."

Workshops on financial management, public speaking and career choices are scheduled for midday.

Later in the day, a panel will discuss leadership beyond Harvard-Radcliffe.

Fifty-five students pre-registered for the Expo, including about five men, Stevens said. The event is open to the public and organizers expect a crowd close to 100.

"We've been really successful in bringing a lot of interesting people together," she said.

The Women's Expo is an annual event sponsored by RUS. The conference was moved up this year from its usual date in the spring semester, organizers said