Commons Becoming Hot Spot

Crimson Cash Helps Food Court's Appeal

By Baratunde R. Thurston

The typical run for late-night food has shortened a little bit, now that the new Loker Commons has become an increasingly popular late-night haunt for hungry Harvard students.

And while the managers of many Harvard Square eateries said business is still good, many students said they will probably stay on campus in the future.

"Now, instead of making the Tommy's run, I make the Loker run," said Kenji D. Scott '98.

Most students said they are choosing stores at Loker Commons because they have been given $100 in Crimson Cash.

"I come here because I feel like I'm not spending my own money," said Sara W. Houghteling '99.

"It's just easier [to use Crimson Cash]," said Jackie B. Ward '99. "You don't have to worry about money."

Aaron P. Easterly '99 said he comes to Loker Commons because he can grab a quick snack and also study for his classes.

"I can do work here and it's kind of acceptable," Easterly said. "If I took out a book at Tommy's, people would look at me like I'm crazy."

Tommy's House of Pizza has recently increased its advertising and created a web page on the Internet, observers said.

Pinocchio's Pizza and Sub's Manager Adam Dicenso said he has not noticed a marked decrease in sales since Loker Commons opened in January.

But he said he will monitor closely trends among students, especially first-year who live closest to Loker Commons.

"As far as its effect on businesses, I don't know what to expect," Dicenso said. "But we'll see."

Director of Harvard Dining Services Michael P. Berry said the new stores were designed to help provide increased meal choices for students.

"[Loker Commons] was created to try to meet the need undergraduates have been expressing for choices to eat outside the houses," Berry said.

Scott said he eats at Loker Commons because of its central location and also because "people can't eat that crap [dining hall food] three times a day."

Some students said they would actually like to see more stores put into Loker Commons.

To meet increased student demand, the hours of certain stores, including a sweet stop, have recently been extended, Berry said