Applications From Home-Schooled Students Rise

By Kymberle J. Zielinski

Although the majority of Harvard applicants still graduate from traditional high schools, the number of home-schooled applicants is on the rise, according to an article published earlier this month in the Chronicle of Higher Education.

Director of Admissions Marlyn E. McGrath Lewis '70 said she estimates two to three dozen home-schooled students applied this year to be accepted into the Class of 2000.

Lewis said that while the number of home-schooled applicants has risen recently, she does not believe this signals a long-term trend.

"The numbers have grown a little bit in the past few years, but this could be a result of the rising tide of applications," she said.

Untraditional Evaluations

Lewis said the applications of home-schooled students present a challenge in the evaluation process because they lack traditional means of evaluation.

Since home-schooled applicants are generally taught by parents, Lewis said it is difficult to obtain an "objective record" of the applicant's curriculum, academic progress and recommendations.

But Lewis said the goal of the admissions committee is to "identify people who have unusual promise for the future," and all students are assessed in the context of their schools.

Home-schooled students are not considered separately from the rest of the applicant pool, she said.

A Case Study

Obiora I. "Bo" Menkiti '99, who was taught by his mother at home until ninth grade, said he supports education in the home, but he said he had little choice in his education decision.

"It was my parents' decision," Menkiti said. "They didn't like any of the public schools."

Menkiti had special tutors for math, Latin and French. He said he remembers traveling to historic sites in Boston and writing about the visits.

"My parents wanted to make sure their children were really inquisitive," he said.

Although the transition from home schooling to public school was "a big jump from free learning to structured classes," he said he believes the experience was beneficial overall.

"Being able to think through ideas was an advantage in high school and is now," he said.