Square Eateries Rankled By Loker

Business Suffering

While some students consider Loker Commons to be a gift from heaven, several Harvard Square restaurateurs say the new student center is sending them on a highway to hell.

The owners of many restaurants in the Square allege that the commons and Crimson Cash are putting them out of business.

"Businesses like mine are going to fail, and real estate values are going to go down," said Gary M. Stoloff, owner of BeBop Burrito in The Garage.

In Interviews yesterday, some restaurant owners said the $100 in Crimson Cash allotted to each undergraduate has stolen their business and brought about declines in revenue.

"Corporations don't give away [things] to everyone who walks through the door," Stoloff said. "That's ridiculous."

Attributing a recent drop in patronage to competition with Crimson Cash, Stoloff says: "That's $650,000 out of the Square economy. It boggles my mind."

Cafe Avventura, another eatery in The Garage, has also suffered a decline in business, according to owner Kenneth A. Grassa.

"I've been here 16 years, and obviously, it's hurting my business," Grassa said. "I don't see any students at night anymore."

But representatives from other businesses said they have not experienced a decrease in customers.

The Tasty has not witnessed any serious fluctuations in business, according to the restaurant's night-time manager, Don K. Valcovic. "Students are going to come here in gen- eral because they like this stuff," Valcovic said.

Mike McHale, owner of Tommy's House of Pizza, also said this year's sales figures are in line with last year's.

"I wouldn't say [Crimson Cash] was unfair," McHale said.

Harvard Dining Services officials were unavailable for comment yesterday.

In an interview with The Crimson last month, Director Michael P. Berry said Dining Services designed the Loker Commons to satisfy student demand for additional dining options, not to undermine Square businesses.

Stoloff, however, said he believes that Loker Commons is part of an attempt by the University to drive down the value of Square businesses so that Harvard Real Estate can purchase their property.

According to Stoloff, some men in suits came by to inspect the menu items and prices of BeBop Burrito about six months ago. Stoloff said he has concluded that they were from Harvard.

Although he acknowledges that he has no proof that these men were actually from Harvard, Stoloff accused them of stealing his ideas and underpricing him on nearly every menu item.

"They come into my place, they steal my ideas, they underprice me," said Stoloff. "Then they give it away for free."

Despite some students' sympathy for local businesses, many students said yesterday they will continue to patronize Loker Commons.

"I feel bad about the businesses, but it's not going to make me stop using my Crimson Cash," said Elizabeth H. Peters '99. "I Understand the plight of the businesses. At the same time, I just don't have any money.