Professors Add to Student Exhaustion

TO THE EDITORS

Ethan Tucker's column on study hysteria and sleep depravation entitled "Sleepless in Cabot" (Opinion, January 6, 1996) was a terriffic assessment of a popular issue amongst students.

While I am concerned with our generation's reputation as a whiny, wimpy, apathetic group and I am weary of this issue as a symptom of our lack of fortitude, it concerns me nonetheless.

Tucker signals the lack of "respect" that students have for their own bodies with regard to their study habits and he criticizes the University's symbolic gesture in leaving Cabot Library open 24 hours per day.

I wish to cite as an additional cause to our neurosis the lack of respect that faculty members, in addition to the administration, have for student life.

While academia continues to move with the speed of the Commodore 64, over my four years here instructors have become increasingly demanding about workload and deadline enforcement.

Perhaps if faculty members were more in tune with our age and developing personalities, they might connect with us beyond rating our ability to digest esoteric essays from the trendy perspectives of the marginalized.

With more sleep and more time to explore tangents, our work would reveal more imagination and less regurgitation. --Derek M. Glanz '96