Class Marshals Announced

By Elizabeth M. Darst, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

After two rounds of voting, the Class of 1998 bestowed the lifetime honor of Class Marshal on four women and four men late last week.

"I'm so excited," said Kavita Kacholia, the Radcliffe First Marshal. "What could be better than setting up all the memorable times for our class?"

The Harvard First Marshal is Philip R. Kaufman. The other Harvard Marshals are Anupam Mishra, Chandler F. Arnold and Andwele J. Lewis.

In addition to Kacholia, the Radcliffe Marshals are Elizabeth E. Rogers, Carrie A. Jablonski and Erin E. O'Malley.

"I was absolutely thrilled and really honored that my peers viewed me in such a fashion and want me to represent the class," Mishra said.

About half of the senior class voted in the first round, in which the pool was narrowed from 25 men and 50 women to eight candidates from each college.

Marshals plan senior-year activities, including Class Day, maintain contact with their classmates after graduation and organize reunions and other alumni events.

"I'm looking forward to getting involved and making senior week exceptionally special," Mishra said.

Kacholia said she looks forward to hearing about her classmates' achievements after graduation.

"I have a wonderful connection with everyone here and I can't wait to see what they'll be doing in a few years because they'll all be doing amazing things," Kacholia said.

Preparing Senior Week will be good preparation for Class Reunions, which the Marshals often help organize.

"I've really enjoyed my time here and like the idea of staying in contact with my friends and classmates forever," O'Malley said.

The other Marshals echoed O'Malley's positive feelings about Harvard. "I've had an amazing experience at Harvard and I can't think of anything I'd rather have as a part of my life than this," Arnold said.

Mishra added, "I love this place with a passion. It's the most phenomenal environment to grow up in and build from."

Kaufman said he is eager to work with the other Marshals.

"The people are so awesome and I'm really psyched to be working with them," Kaufman said.

Jablonski said she decided she wanted to be a Marshal after meeting some Marshals from past class years through her work with the Harvard Alumni Association. "They all seemed to be having a blast," she said.

"I guess I know one thing I'll be doing for the rest of my life," quipped O'Malley, reacting to the fact that she had just accepted a lifetime job.

Kacholia added, "I've just sold my soul, but for a great reason."