Race, Culture Group Elects New Co-Chairs

* James, Coleman to lead Harvard Foundation's student advisory board

By Barbara E. Martinez and Alexandra S. Morrison, CRIMSON STAFF WRITERSs

The Student Advisory Committee (SAC) of the Harvard Foundation for Intercultural and Race Relations elected its co-chairs and secretary yesterday morning.

Sarita M. James '98 and Nana E. Coleman '98 were elected co-chairs and Mustafa M. Siddiqui '99, a Crimson editor, was elected secretary of the SAC.

The Harvard Foundation was established in 1981 to improve racial understanding and promote cultural awareness in the Harvard community, according to Foundation literature.

The SAC consists of representatives from several Harvard organizations and serves as a forum for students discussions between students, faculty and members of the Harvard community, Coleman said.

The SAC also coordinates a process to distribute grants to student organizations.

"Through the grants process we are able to help those groups that have limited financial resources to put on their events," Coleman said.

The Foundation also organizes events of its own, such as the Cultural Rhythms Festival, a science conference and a film festival in the spring.

In her bid for the position of co-chair, Coleman discussed the Foundation's current program for hosting speakers.

The Foundation currently brings a variety of guests every year.

Coleman said she would like to see "someone who, though they might have advanced to a prominent position in society has not lost sight of the need for intercultural understanding and awareness."

"Even though it would be a SAC sponsored activity, it would be an opportunity for the various groups we represent to come together to honor and perhaps learn from a special guest," she said.

Both Coleman and James, who was also SAC co-chair last year, have participated in Foundation events since their first year at Harvard. James' roommate represented the Caribbean Students Association at the SAC.

"I started going to some of the events with her and I really enjoyed them," James said.

During her sophomore year, the computer science concentrator represented the Asian American Association at the SAC.

"As a senior I wasn't sure whether or not I ought to run for a second term," James said. "But when reviewing the job description, I realized how much I enjoyed the job and how hard it would be to give it up."

Last year, Coleman was the co-director and co-stage manger of Cultural Rhythms. She also was a co-director of the science conference.

Coleman said her involvement in the Foundation has exposed her to many of Harvard's cultural organizations.

"I've become more interested in and aware of what student groups exist and more interested in the issues and challenges these groups have," Coleman said.

Coleman works as one of 12 interns at the Foundation, whose office is in Thayer Basement.

Siddiqui said that the Foundation has a large growth potential in its role as a liaison between Harvard's cultural groups.

"I see the Foundation as capable of playing a more intellectual role in bringing various grips together for discussion of issues pertinent to intercultural and interracial relations," Siddiqui said.

The SAC accepts applications from cultural organizations who would like representation on the Committee.

"We're especially able to help those groups that, for whatever reason, have not been able to take as active a role in the Harvard Community," Coleman said. "We are able to make a particular effort to let these groups know about the resources that are available to them.