Business School Plans High Tech Event

By Tara L. Colon, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Cyberposium--an international conference stressing the importance of using cutting-edge technology to succeed in the business world--is now being planned by the Harvard Business School High Tech and New Media Club.

The Cyberposium will be held on February 20th and 21st at the Harvard Business School (HBS).

"The Cyberposium has three purposes: to build a world-wide community of MBAs to create a learning environment for students and professionals alike and to use technology in processes of operation," said Jill S. Schaffer, co-chair of the Cyberposium and a second-year student at HBS.

At the event, Schaffer said participants will be able to use new technology and to participate in the Cyberposium via online chat rooms.

According to Schaffer, the first day of the event will feature business workshops dealing with cutting edge technology in business. The second day will feature two keynote speakers, panels, product demos, a reception and a career fair.

Speakers at the Cyberposium will tentatively include Michael Bloomberg of Bloomberg Business News; Norman Pearlstine, editor of Time, Inc., and Jerry Yang of Yahoo.

In addition to the speakers, panel discussions will feature leaders in Internet technology, media and business fields.

Cyberposium organizers also hope to investigate "the net effect of how technology is affecting traditional business," Schaffer said.

The Cyberposium is not just a Harvard event, according to Schaffer. "Harvard has invited other schools to help formulate the event and to co-host panels," she said.

Information about the Cyberposium will be available on the web beginning on November 11 at http://www.cyberposium.com.